Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a budgie about a year and a half who recently lost his mate from an unknown cause and I was just wandering how you can tell if your budgie is depressed. If depressed what can I do to cheer my budgie up. Please. Help.

·
Registered
37,335 Posts
Budgies who lose a bonded mate go through grief just as you or I would. At this time you need to spend as much time as possible with your budgie, perhaps ply some budgie sounds, have you thought about getting another budgie for a new friend ? This is what I would do .:budgie:

·
Registered
3 Posts
im so sorry to hear about your lost, depending on the age of your current budgie, maybe consider getting him a new friend? as its probably now feeling pretty lonely and it might be a good idea to spend more time with him.
maybe try some new toys aswell? distract him with lots of things to play with especially a mirror in this case

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes we are planning on getting him a new female friend but I'm just worried about getting a bird and not knowing if it has a illness or anything bad that can effect my 8 budgies I have at home since there's a bird flu going around.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Good to know that you care about your little one and are paying attention to his needs. As Cathy suggested, playing budgie sounds is a fantastic idea and it alone can remove the loneliness and help him cheer up although you must spend time with him, offer him some treats and as Rae suggested, a mirror is a very good idea for distraction but beware of the obsession with mirror toy.
Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already have a mirror and my mom will be buying more toys tomorrow. I will try the budgie sounds today. Never knew that can actually make a budgie happy. Quite cute. :) <3

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,832 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Can your budgie bond with any of the other 8 that you already have at home, or are they already matched up? It seems that it would be a good solution since you now have an even number of budgies.

If you do get a new budgie, you can reduce the risk of infection by keeping the newcomer in quarantine for 45 days (in another cage, in another room).

Best of luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.