Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Im really after a bit of advice or opinions here;

I got my budgie Blue (Bloolander) a year and a half ago at 5 months old, so he wasnt old.
He bonded well, very happy to sing on my shoulder and sat with me opening presents on Christmas etc. Very curious.

He's always had full access to the entire house to fly around in for the whole time ive had him. Never once an issue.

3 weeks ago I got a play friend for him, shes called Snowball. They bonded quickly and got on well.

Last night Snowball flew upto my bedroom and circled the room, let me catch her and take her downstairs.
When downstairs I found Blue next to the wall not moving much. :oops:
I picked him up thinking he was dazed and took him upstairs. He was very quiet and didnt move, but was breathing heavily.

I stroked him for a good 30 mins next to me in a dark room hoping he was just dazed from hitting the wall. He was moving his eyes and was conscious, however his balance was all off he kept swaying and his eyes kept closing.

Then over the course of the next half hour he slowly died next to me :(
I assume he flew into the wall, but there was no blood, his neck seemed fine he did at one point climb up my shoulder but then let me take him back down to the bed next to me as he kept swaying.

He's never once flew into the wall, however it was dark. When its dark hes never come out the cage.

Really I have 2 questions all :)

What could have caused him to die this way?
What shall I do with Snowball? She was happily kissing him a few hours before so im worried how to approach her for the future with getting a friend or maybe not?

any advice is much appriciated :)

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
Sorry for your loss of Blue, do you have an avian vet? The only way to know for sure what happened is to have a necropsy done by an avian vet to determine the cause of death. He could have flown into a wall but if he was familiar with the space he was in and it was not dark that may not be the answer, unless something spooked him and he just flew in a panic. I had a young bird about 14 months old, one morning when he came out of his cage he began flying very erratic, as if he could not see well, he was flying into the ceiling and walls, I caught him and immediately took him to the vet, tuned out he had a brain tumor, so there may have been something wrong internally that was not evident to you. From what you wrote it seems that when you brought Snowball home you did not quarantine her from Blue, but put them together right away. Birds hide their illnesses very well, so quarantine of a new bird should be followed to make sure that the new bird does not have any illness that could be passed to other birds, you may want to consider taking Snowball to an avian vet to determine if she is healthy, to an untrained eye a bird can seem ok but an avian vet will be able to give her a clean bill of health or treat anything if needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Cody, some really good advice there :)
I bought Snowball from a breeder who I know well, but he did not mention to fully quarantine. I did have them in separate cages for a few days and slowly let them out to play together to begin with.
Really sad, he was such a lovely character.

Thank you again :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss of Blue.

Cody has given you great advice. You should take Snowball to an Avian Vet.

Soar High , Bloolander! :angel:

Best wishes

Catty

·
Administrator
56,577 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss of little Blue. :hug:

The advice you were provided by Cody is spot-on.

I would not advise that you rush out to get another budgie to be a friend to Snowball.
Depending on how much time you have to interact with her, she may be quite happy as a solo bird.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

Site Guidelines
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies
How-To Guides
FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Budgie Articles
List of Stickies
Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
Avian First Aid
Why Quarantine?

50 Common Budgie Dangers to Watch Out For

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
When We Don't Want Eggs

Recommended Minimum Cage Sizes
Essentials for a Great Cage
Resource Directory

When you upload pictures as thumbnail attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as Imgur and follow the steps in these instructions:
How to Post Full Size Pictures from a Photo Sharing Site

By the way, all photos entered in any of our forum contests must be a full-size photo and not a thumbnail attachment so it's good to know how to upload them! ;)

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Again, my sympathy in your loss of little Blue.

Fly high and soar freely sweet Blue; rest peacefully now little man.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm really sorry for your loss. However I am concerned about you saying they have full access to fly in the house? Budgies should always be supervised when they are out of the cage, so I recommend when you let them out, that you do so in just one room, and supervise them while they are there.

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little budgie. May he rest in peace.

I agree that even if your budgies know the house, they shouldn't be out of the cage unsupervised in the future.

If your little Snowball is happy as a single budgie after she grieves for the loss of her friend, then it's fine to keep her as a solo budgie.

You've been given great advice and resources above!

If you have any questions after reading through the forums' many articles and stickies, be sure to ask!

We look forward to meeting Snowball soon!

Cheers :wave:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.