Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two budgies, one female and one male (I am not sure about their age), just today ate from my finger. I had dampened my finger and when I had put my finger in the millet bowl, the millet stuck to it. When my finger came near the budgies, they first resisted, but then started to eat. Is this a good sign? (They are eating after a week's hard work from my side)

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
Budgies can act submissive when they are first brought into a new environment which can be misunderstood as being tame, however it is good that they are not flyng and flapping around in the cage to get away from your hand. Don't overdo this, go slow and if you see the slightest sign of fear in them, back off. It takes time to get them accustomed to you and their new home and if you push yourself on them it will backfire and they will see you as a threat and not as a friend.

·
Administrator
55,553 Posts
Budgies need a minimum of two weeks to settle into their new home and you should not be trying to touch or tame them at this time. They are often submissive initially because they are terrified.
You can cover the top and three sides of the cage to help them feel more secure. Play music or the TV for them when you are not around during the day.

To bond with your birds, you need to build their trust in you.
They will have to learn over time that you will not hurt them.

To build your birds’ trust, sit by their cage and read, talk or sing quietly to them for a period of at least 10-15 minutes, 3 or 4 times day. After about a week, rest your hand on the outside of the cage when you talk to them so they will learn that your hand is safe and will not hurt them.

After a week of resting your hand on the outside of the cage, rest your hand inside the cage when you talk.
Don’t make sudden moves, don’t try to touch them.
Let their get used to the idea that the hand is now in their safe place and not harming them.

After 2 weeks, begin moving your hand slowly toward your bird. If they become agitated, stop moving your hand and just hold very still until they calm down. When they are comfortable with your hand near them, you can offer them a bit of millet or a few seeds.

Always work at your birds’ pace.
Move slowly and talk reassuringly and calmly to their whenever you interact with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts