Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my budgie has started excessively biting his shoulder to the point of blood. It is very red and looks sore. It seems to be
very irritating for him and makes itself worse. It doesn't seem to be tics, parasite or boredom. Any advice would be appreciated as there are no nearby avian vets!
Bird Parrot Beak Feather Parakeet

·
Super Moderator
6,011 Posts
When a bird starts biting an area it is often due to the fact that they are feeling something irritating in the spot where they are biting and that is their way of responding to the irritation. In could be a problem with a feather follicle or a neurological issue. Your picture is blurry, do you have a more in focus picture?

·
Super Moderator
6,011 Posts
It may be an infected or ingrown feather follicle issue or possibly a small tumor or cyst, the bird will need a physical exam by an avian vet to determine the issue, without getting an accurate diagnosis he will continue to suffer and pick at it, take a look at this link and see if any of these vets are accessible to you https://theparrotsocietyuk.org/site/files/resources/avian-vets-2.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may be an infected or ingrown feather follicle issue or possibly a small tumor or cyst, the bird will need a physical exam by an avian vet to determine the issue, without getting an accurate diagnosis he will continue to suffer and pick at it, take a look at this link and see if any of these vets are accessible to you https://theparrotsocietyuk.org/site/files/resources/avian-vets-2.pdf
just thought I would update you. I took him to the vet yesterday, he did cytology smears and blood smear and could not find anything serious,(no tumours/cysts/tics etc):D the vet thinks he may have had a knock/cut that could have irrated him and he started biting himself that that may have worsened it. he has given me some antibiotics and painkillers for 7 days to see how it goes. so fingers crossed this will clear it up. having a little problem getting the medicine down him tho!! thanks for all your help and advice.

·
Super Moderator
20,173 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums,

I'm so glad you took your budgie to the vet and were able to get the issue looked at. It's a relief that there does not appear to be cancerous growth at this time. Best of luck with his medicine and I hope he starts healing soon!

Meanwhile, you've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices. Please be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies" to ensure you're up to date on everything! If you have any questions afterwards, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

Hope to hear updates on his condition soon! 👋

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.