Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
It is a pretty female. I see that you have your birds enjoying some time outdoors, please make sure that they are never left unattended while out, it would only take a second for a predator to knock over the cage and perhaps grab one of the budgies.

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
I cannot see the cere well enough, can you try to get a full frontal picture of the yellow bird.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the yellow one about a month ago, it could just about fly slightly then and became pretty tame easily but ever since being placed in the cage with the other birds, it seems reluctant stepping up or allowing me near it unless its hungry. Is that normal or did I put it in with the others too soon?

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
Your budgies are lovely. 💜💜

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Any time you get a budgie it needs to be quarantined before putting it in with your current flock.
Please keep this in mind if you get any other birds in the future.

Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds

The reason your "newest" budgie is reluctant to come to your hand is because it really wasn't "tamed" previously.
It was submissive simply because it was unable to fly so it couldn't really get away from you.
Now that it can, it is showing that it isn't comfortable with you touching it.
You should never try to touch your budgie or force it to be held when it isn't comfortable doing so.
Taming and Bonding is all about helping your budgie learn to trust you and it takes a great deal of time and patience on your part.
You should never grab your budgies or force them to be touched.
To bond with your budgie, you need to build their trust in you.
They will have to learn over time that you will not hurt them, grab them and try to force them to allow you to hold them.

As you have mixed genders in the same cage, you need to be doing everything necessary to prevent breeding.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Additionally, I recommend you cut the tassels on the toys down to no more then 1/2 inch
Dangers of Rope, Snuggle Huts, Fabric and Tasseled Toys

I also suggest you change the paper out on the cage more frequently. You have allowed quite a build up of droppings.
The paper should be changed daily at a minimum.
Good hygiene is important for healthy birds.

How many budgies do you have in total?
How large is the cage in which you are housing them? Length, Width and Height

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was ok with stepping up or coming to me even when it started to fly normally. It still does when it feels like it but certainly less than it used to. It even flies over to me at times. I never touch or force them unless they seem happy to let me do so. I will take on board the advice regarding the toys and changing newspaper, just haven't been able to as frequently as I would like lately. The cage is large, they can fly from one end to the other and to/from perches easily. I'd say it was approx 80x50x60cm. I don't intend to breed them atm as we don't have space for more birds/cages. There are four in total, two were taken on as a last resort/exceptional circumstances as the owner was unable to look after them. Is the yellow one a male? Thank you

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
From what I can see of the cere, the yellow does look to be male.
However, for a definitive answer, it would be best to try to get a full frontal picture of the cere taken in natural light and post it.
Are all of the other budgies female? I see two females in the pictures you posted but don't see the third budgie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try to get a better photo posted asap. I did have my suspicions it was a male. 2 males, 2 females if the yellow is male too.

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
Thank you.

Rearranging their cage frequently and limiting the light they get to 8 hours a day will help tremendously to discourage breeding
Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
When they come into condition, limit the amount of protein in their diet at that time.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
The yellow is almost certainly male from what I can tell, but I agree that more photos would be helpful! FaeryBee has given great advice with regards to preventing breeding.

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
Beautiful girl. However, please have your friend join the forum him/herself. We prefer to answer questions posted directly by the person who owns the budgie(s).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.