Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can run my Cockatiels on the genetics calculators like nothing. Not my Budgies! I am still learning all the mutations and there is always the visual vs the splits. But honestly, trying to figure out the abbreviations is quite nerve wracking.

First off, I'm not considering any breeding for a long while yet as Miss Abby is still quite young. But I would like to know what I could possibly be looking at for their offspring. Secondly, I apologize if you are tired of answering these types of questions.

We have Sam, our male, who has been identified as Dominant Pied and then Miss Abby, who has been identified as Cobalt Blue (another friend was questioning Violet factor, which I have no clue about). From what I can gather, neither of my two are a sex linked mutation. I tried to run the calculator but I'm sure I messed it up as these abbreviations are greek to me. Could someone please help me by looking at my two Budgies and run it for me and tell me what they get? Also, can you tell me what you entered?

Mr. Sam..

And Miss Abby...

Thank you in advance for your time! :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I'm assuming your using this calculator http://www.gencalc.com/

Your birdies are much easier to use on their than half of mine LOL

For Sam you don't choose any color just the dominant pied Which is (aus) pied

this is because the calculator is set to assume all the birds being entered are Green - Unless other wise stated

For Abby you would mark Blue under the blue and under dark factor you would put Single Factor She doesn't appear to have the violet factor but if she did then you'd also click the Violet under Violet Factor and it would be Single Factor

and any splits you know of if there isn't any then hit Generate

but w/out even using it and assuming Sam is not split to blue you'll get Green Dominant pied like him and Green non pieds all Will be split to blue

here are the meanings of the pied

(Aus) Pied - Dominant Pied - The AUS is for Australian
(Dut) pied - Clear flight pied - The DUT is for Dutch
(Dan) Rec. Pied - Recessive pied - The DAN is for Danish

if you need any other help just let me know i love that calculator :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot! I love little ones. My Tiels were interesting in that they threw us babies we weren't expecting with somewhat hidden splits. And now knowing what they are, or atleast having more of an idea.. the nest box is so much more telling of what it holds. :) It is quite the responsibility and really amazing. Regardless of what color they are.. it is truly a miracle to behold.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Thanks a lot! I love little ones. My Tiels were interesting in that they threw us babies we weren't expecting with somewhat hidden splits. And now knowing what they are, or atleast having more of an idea.. the nest box is so much more telling of what it holds. :) It is quite the responsibility and really amazing. Regardless of what color they are.. it is truly a miracle to behold.
So true

and don't be surprised if a Pair you've had bred 2-3 times in the past Throws you a surprised on thier 4-5th time lol it's happened to me a lot with my tiels

first was Bart and Nibbles, Their 1st 2 clutches were just pied and Grey Bart was grey split pied That I knew of, Nibbles was pied.. 3rd clutch I got Pied, Grey, Lutino :eek: (explains why he kept chasing after all the Lutinos rather they were tiels or budgies :giggle:

Nibbles is now with Sun Dance - 1st clutch out pops a white face- Sundance is a white face pearl/cinnamon - now I know Nibbles is Split to White face I've had her since 2007 and just found out several months ago :p

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we've had the cinnamon and the pearl. I don't expect pied seeings how dad is split but mom is not pied. Lutino would be a surprise. lol They are both split to white face but haven't seen it yet. Guess we'll see next year.

Question.. I have been really trying to focus in on Abby's age. Her cere has turned more brown up the center and on the sides. But still no iris. So I'm thinking she's coming into her first conditioning, maybe second molt. I was putting her around 7 months old. What's your read on this?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theasset.. I must admit your note is a lot of garble in my brain. lol I will read your journals. I'm still learning the Budgie abbreviations. Why does it seem like the smaller they get.. the more confusing it is? lol

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Well we've had the cinnamon and the pearl. I don't expect pied seeings how dad is split but mom is not pied. Lutino would be a surprise. lol They are both split to white face but haven't seen it yet. Guess we'll see next year.

Question.. I have been really trying to focus in on Abby's age. Her cere has turned more brown up the center and on the sides. But still no iris. So I'm thinking she's coming into her first conditioning, maybe second molt. I was putting her around 7 months old. What's your read on this?
Is the pic posted here a recent pic of her? Because going by the bars I'd say 4-5 months old

You can't always go by the cere, the bars, or the iris rings though :giggle:

Some birds "mature" faster than others - not meaning they can breed any sooner!

If you got her from a pet shop You can except her to be at least 4 months old (all mine have had their 1st molt within the first week to week and half I bought them)

here's one of mine that the iris rings would be of no help determining what her age was

she was only about 2 months old with irises of a 6-8 month old

I also have one who is at least 2 years old Normal mutation No brown cere

and in the past I've had an Adult female who was Normal mutation and She never had iris rings

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, she was bought from a pet store. My daughters surprised me with her. She seems a lot younger than Sam just watching daily activities. The only thing that throws me off is her cere is browning up. Although that would fit in with her going through a hormonal change after going through her first molt. And the head where the bars are.. you can still see faint bars before that. It would be nice to figure out a hatch day for her and an age. Regardless of any breeding that might take place in the future.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I was simply saying that I put a pair together that are basically the same as yours. A dom pied green male and a blue female. The links were to show you the babies I got so you can kind of see what to expect from yours (assuming they aren't split for anything). With Abby being cobalt, you can expect light and dark greens and sky blues and cobalts. (My hen is sky blue, so no cobalts or dark greens. only sky blues and light green babies from my pair). I hope I havent' confused you further.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No you haven't confused me further. Great info. :) And great threads on your clutches. Thank you for the input and info. It is greatly appreciated all. :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Yes, she was bought from a pet store. My daughters surprised me with her. She seems a lot younger than Sam just watching daily activities. The only thing that throws me off is her cere is browning up. Although that would fit in with her going through a hormonal change after going through her first molt. And the head where the bars are.. you can still see faint bars before that. It would be nice to figure out a hatch day for her and an age. Regardless of any breeding that might take place in the future.
with my 1st budgie Tweety (my avatar pic) When he started his 1st molt pretty much the week I got him i figured he was 4 months old. I got him in May so I counted back 4 months which was January I gave him the hatch date of January 1, 2007 :D

Also The way a bird lives has a lot to do with how quick their ceres change. If there are just a couple birds most don't change until the normal 1 yr old (that's when Tweety's changed and after him I got 3 more budgies by the time his cere changed though I had about 20 :giggle:

But I had a baby who's cere was in breeding mode at 2 1/2 months old! because she was living in an Aviary setting (many budgies all in one area)

She also lost a lot of baby bars and had almost white irises

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
We have Sam, our male, who has been identified as Dominant Pied and then Miss Abby, who has been identified as Cobalt Blue (another friend was questioning Violet factor, which I have no clue about). From what I can gather, neither of my two are a sex linked mutation. I tried to run the calculator but I'm sure I messed it up as these abbreviations are greek to me. Could someone please help me by looking at my two Budgies and run it for me and tell me what they get? Also, can you tell me what you entered?

Mr. Sam..

And Miss Abby...

Thank you in advance for your time! :)
I'm not an expert, but I'd like to predict mutations so I can practice. :)

Sam is dominant pied light green and Miss Abby is normal cobalt.

If Sam is not split to blue, then
50% dominant pied light green or dark green split to blue
50% normal light green or dark green split to blue

If Sam is split to blue, then
25% dominant pied light green or dark green split to blue
25% dominant pied sky blue or cobalt
25% normal light green or dark green split to blue
25% normal sky blue or cobalt

I hope an expert will come along (again) and confirm or correct my predictions. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.