Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 parakeets. They are 4 and been in at least 2 homes before I got them. Last home they were fed mostly sunflower seeds and no veg. Now they get harrisons pellets a parakeet seed mix and carrots and kale most days (that is all the veg they will touch) only started to like kale recently so was mostly carrots they ate at first.

Should I add in Calcivet? Is it better to add to food or water? I'm worried that they will smell/taste it and not eat/drink.

Also this morning I noticed some food in poop. One has been to the vet recently for a respiratory infection and now on daily antibiotics and anti inflammatories for 2-4 weeks...think it was from him...should I add avipro supplement and how often should this be given? Been getting mixed reviews from people online.

The other bird sleeps just about all day...he is losing so many feathers each day...is it normal for them to sleep alot when molting?

·
Super Moderator
5,440 Posts
I would not add Calcivet or anything else unless the vet thinks there is a need for it or gives consent, especially when being treated with medication for illness. When you say you noticed food in the poop, is it whole seeds that you saw and if so are you sure that it was actually in the dropping and not just seed that may have fallen onto the dropping? It is possible that the bird has a digestive issue either due to the medication or lack of digestive enzymes, also sometimes if a bird has an Avian Gastric Yeast infection it will pass whole seed in the droppings, has the bird ever had a gram stain test on the droppings?
It is common for a bird to be less active when molting and sleep more, extra protein can help, I give my birds shredded hard boiled egg white, you can also buy commercially prepared egg food that is made for birds. Here is a link to some additional info on molting. Molting FAQS

·
Administrator
59,209 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

The budgie that is on antibiotics should not be given any probiotics or supplements of any kind until he is completely off all antibiotics.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads