Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Blueberry, Angel, Bubbles, and Luffy! Rest In Peace Mango <3
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a hyperlink to issues I was facing yesterday. I advise reading this for more information.
Background Information on My Flock

Today I woke up and saw my sweet little Blueberry with a red spot on her head. I have no idea what this is. Could any of you fellow budgie owners help me? Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Looks to me like she may have been attacked by another bird, from your post about what is happening in your flock it seems that Blueberry is pretty aggressive, and maybe got into a fight, I would keep her separate so no further injuries happen.

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
I agree, this looks like an injury obtained from an altercation. I would definitely agree with Cody's advice at this time. Is she otherwise behaving normally?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks to me like she may have been attacked by another bird, from your post about what is happening in your flock it seems that Blueberry is pretty aggressive, and maybe got into a fight, I would keep her separate so no further injuries happen.
Hi. Thank you so much! I headed to the pet shop today and purchased another cage for Blueberry to stay in. I'll keep you updated on what happens to her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, this looks like an injury obtained from an altercation. I would definitely agree with Cody's advice at this time. Is she otherwise behaving normally?
She is still behaving normally. Thankfully she is eating well and drinking. She even took a bath in her water bowl and splashed around. Although, when Angel went to bathe, Blueberry got territorial and told Angel to go away.

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
I would not allow Blueberry to have out-of-cage time with the other budgies since she is so territorial and aggressive. Give her out-of-cage time by herself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not allow Blueberry to have out-of-cage time with the other budgies since she is so territorial and aggressive. Give her out-of-cage time by herself.
Hi. I placed blueberry in a small cage to prevent attacks. I want to eventually put her back in the flight cage because the cage I bought is quite small. How long should I keep her in this small cage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long should I keep her separate for?

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
How big is this “small” cage? She needs to be in a cage that is a minimum of 18”x18”x18” although one 30”x18”x18” would be better. Move her to a different room and give her out of cage time separately from the others. You can try letting them out together in about 3 weeks under close supervision to see how they do. However m, be prepared that she may have to be housed separately on a permanent basis if the aggression persists.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How big is this “small” cage? She needs to be in a cage that is a minimum of 18”x18”x18” although one 30”x18”x18” would be better. Move her to a different room and give her out of cage time separately from the others. You can try letting them out together in about 3 weeks under close supervision to see how they do. However m, be prepared that she may have to be housed separately on a permanent basis if the aggression persists.
This is the cage.

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
What is the length and width of the cage? Does it meet the specifications I gave you previously?

Going by the picture looks much too small for one budgie -- more like a cage one would use for transportation to/from the vet. I can't find the specifications on the link you sent. By the way, Petco will accept the cage for a return assuming you have the receipt and everything that came with it. Clean up up before returning it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dimensions are 16.5 x 22 x 11.8
I feel horrible. Blueberry loves to fly and went from a flight cage to this dinky cage.

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
I highly recommend you go get a 30" x 18" x 18" cage at the minimum for her and return that one to Petco. Please give her out-of-cage time by herself to allow her flight time each day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel horrible but I don't know when my parents will be able to take me back to Petco. Money is also kinda tight right now in my family.. but at the same time I am responsible for Blueberry and she deserves a bigger cage. My mother will be furious if I purchase a bigger cage. Including the one we have now, there is three cages in our living room. I don't know what to do. I love my budgies and never stop thinking about them but right now I feel like a horrible bird mom. I just want to rip my hair out and cry right now, but I must stay strong for them.

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
There is no point in being upset and your birds pick up on your emotions. Why not ask for an “advance” of the funds and then agree (and follow through!) with doing additional chores to pay your parents back?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I may, I'd like to offer a suggestion here to fruitybudgie; Show your Mom this discussion, specifically where FaeryBee explains the minimum cage dimensions. No responsible adult would want an animal living on their premises in what are considered inadequate conditions as specified by experts in that particular animal's care.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts