Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi ! I'm new here as well as a first time pet owner. I've got 3 budgies 3 weeks ago and noticed one of them seemed a little off. Since day 1 Kaeya's wings were droopy, but my parents just brushed it off saying she's fine. She's less active and responsive than the others but still interact, eat and poop just fine. They're mostly on a seed diet for now (but I'm slowly transitioning them to more pellets).
Starting on the 7th I noticed she would fluff up and sleep alot more than usual. Her eyes would be closed and I noticed that her tail would sometimes be moving up and down slightly. I brought her to the vet 2 days ago and they couldn't give a clear diagnosis yet (they did mention she was skinny tho), so they gave her some deworming medicine, vitamins and pellets. But I guess yesterday I also noticed that her back area where she usually sleeps on had some lack of feathers? It's pretty unclear and I don't want to stress her further since she's not used to handling. (Couldn't get a clear pic but there's a weird spot near her left wing)
Bird Beak Macaw Parrot Pet supply
Her vent area also looked more,, bald than the other 2 and I noticed it was more yellowish today
here's a comparison from 6th and 10th October
Vertebrate Dog supply Pet supply Carnivore Mammal
Vertebrate Mammal Yellow Pet supply Glass

She would either be in a corner resting or sitting in the food bowl. She just looks very sick to me :( Any advice? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
Are you sure that the bird is a female, I agree that the bird does not look well. It appears that she has been having loose droppings by the stains and missing feathers around the vent. How old is this bird, if it is a female there is a possibility that there may be an issue with an egg. Was it an avian vet that saw her, at the very least with all the staining around the vent a gram stain test on the droppings should be done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it's a female, the seller confirmed it too. Unfortunately I didn't ask about their ages when I got them but looks to me that she's still young? I'll provide a picture, she's the blue budgie. I think at the time I was so anxious I forgot the mention the missing feathers and vent issue (my mistake),, she was instead checked with the problem being she was weak and skinny. I've only noticed the stains today and plan to bring her to a vet on Tuesday to check that out.
Is there anything I could do before then?
Bird Vertebrate Mammal Organism Beak

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Was the vet you saw an Avian Vet?

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it was an avian vet, or at least an exotic pet vet. The animal clinic I went to also treats birds and exotics animals. It was also my mistake in failing to point out the loss of feathers at her vent area the last time. I'll look more into it the next visit !
And thanks for the guides

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright an update:
The vet looked at her again yesterday and diagnosed her with scaly mites and a possible protozoan infection. Unfortunately she passed away yesterday. They gave her medication for the mites. Since she lived with 2 other budgies, should I be giving them that medicine instead?

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss.

The vet really should have done a complete physical exam when you took the budgie in the first time and noticed the problem with the area around the vent and any other issues then.

When you took her back to the vet did you explain she was housed with two other budgies that have been exposed to any illness she has/had as well?

Where were the scaly mites on this budgie -- as they are not obvious in the pictures you posted.
For scaly mites, the forum recommends either Ivermectin or Scatt for Birds which are both spot-on treatments.
Everything the budgies have come in contact with will need to be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
Cage, perches, toys, food and water dishes, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you
And yes I did mention she was housed with two other budgies to the vet. I was only told to quarantine Kaeya to monitor her food intake and such since her other problem was that she was underweight (20g).
Her scaly mites were on her feet but i also noticed her beak looked a little crusty (?) when I went to look at her corpse :/
I can't recall the name of the medication but it's an oral medication to be given twice a day.

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
You need to contact the vet (via phone) and ask the following questions:

1. What is the medication prescribed?
2. Specifically, what does this medication treat?
3. Is it for BOTH scaly mites and "possible protozoa" treatment?
4. Should the medication now be administered to your two remaining budgies since they were housed with the one that is now deceased?

Without knowing specifically what the medication is and what it was supposed to treat, you should not use it without consulting with the veterinarian.

Have your other two budgies been examined by an Avian Veterinarian since you brought them home?
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sorry I didn't answer sooner
They said the fluid medication was dextrose since she was not drinking or eating well + mite medication
But I didn't get a reply about the mite medication or administering it to the other 2 birds. At the moment I'm just misting them once a week

And no I haven't brought the other 2 budgies to the vet. I'm kind of hesitant about bringing them after the vet couldn't diagnose kaeya and give her medication properly before it was too late. It's also the only avian vet I could locate in my area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.