Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's me again. Chick isn't as vocal as she used to be. Wasabi will sing and tweet and squawk incessantly. Chick is almost mute. When she does make noise, I've noticed it sounds extremely hoarse. Today I got back from work and she's vocalizing a little bit, and it sounds like she has a wet chesty voice. She was sat on my shoulder trying to vocalize back to Wasabi, and it sounded gurgly and strained, like doing so is difficult for her.

What can this mean? Other than that, she's soldiering on. She clearly isn't well, and will sit ruffled and with drooped wings when she completely relaxes. She's capable of bursts of energy when required, and will fly around the room if she wants. But usually she'll stay stationary and just preen or relax.

PS: please refrain from the "take her to a vet". I have been to at least 6 vets this past week, and a handful of pharmacies too. This country has no avian vets. I've been told by multiple vets to just "buy another bird" because they're only $10. Specialization is either focused on falcons or pigeons. I took a stool sample yesterday to a falcon vet and they determined Chick doesn't have coccidiosis, but the microscope test wasn't able to determine anything else as they don't do gram stains or bacterial cultures. It's frustrating.

I've just collected another fecal sample and am about to make another fruitless 1 hour round trip to another vet in the hopes they have the capabilities to test this properly.

·
Administrator
59,209 Posts
I would go ahead and treat her with the ivermectin in case the issue is air sac mites. Doing so will not be detrimental to her and will hopefully help her condition.

I’m sure you are using a warm mist humidifier with a couple drops of pure eucalyptus essential oil in it to help keep her airways open.

Is she eating and drinking and defecating normally?
If not, I’d give her pedialyte to help balance her electrolytes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's doing relatively well, she's just not as healthy as she used to be and because of how close of a bond we have and how much time we spend together, I 100% know she's not well. She eats fine, drinks fine, in the mornings is when she's most energetic and rambunctious. She'll slowly become more lethargic and sickly as the day progresses and will spend longer sleeping and being ruffled rather than exploring and playing.

As for the room, I keep it at 60% humidity, I'll get eucalyptus and put some in. The room is kept at 24c and she is not in any drafts. I just worry because she has been like this for a good few months, and I can see her slowly getting worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts