Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hi all! this is a new development. my male budgie is making sort of whimpering noises while hes sleeping. hes never done this before and im worried. https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/600143819471585284/620086466219081738/video0.mov
is this normal?
update: i just turned on the light and uncovered their cage. he only seems to do this when hes sleeping. he sneezes occasionally. when i turned the light on, he was breathing hard, but could that be due to shock of waking up suddenly? he soon went back to breathing normally

·
Administrator
56,577 Posts
I am unable to view your video.
How old is your budgie and how long have you had him?
Have you had him checked out by an Avian Vet to ensure he is in good health?

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.

If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future. Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was able to get the video and post it on my youtube,

[nomedia="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BllkD-34W1k"]wheezing - YouTube[/nomedia]

Sounds like a respiratory problem to me.

·
Administrator
56,577 Posts
I still can't access the video.

From what's been written it sounds as if this budgie needs to be seen by an Avian Vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Please let us know how your little guy is doing.

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Hm, it does indeed sound odd. It sounds a little like labored breathing to me, with a little ‘click’.
I’ll bet your budgie also does this in the daytime, but it’s not as obvious when they’re moving around. Also, if an illness is not in more advanced stages, they might not present with symptoms 100% of the time, keep in mind. By the time a budgie is in more obvious stages of illness, it is often too late.

Your budgie does need to be seen by an avian vet soon, to determine if there is an illness, and how to make it better. Please keep up posted!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.