Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a happy budgie that has been moulting for several weeks to the point, where most of his feathers from the upper breast area are goine and only like a little fuzz is left there. The little tyke is still very active but am wondering if this is normal or is there something awol.
We have no avion vets in this area so I'm leaning on you folks to give me a bit of advice. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
It is not normal to lose all but a little fuzz, can you post a picture of the birds chest area? How old is the bird and what are you feeding? You can look for an exotic vet in the area as many of them see birds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The green (effected) bird is about 4 years old. I'm feeding them with what is called 'budgie and parakeet food' put out by Great Value. I've used this for years and once in a while, I'll put in what we called Millet.
Here's a couple shots of the bird ...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
This is not normal molting, an all seed diet in not nutritionally complete and can lead to deficiencies, it would be best to have the bird examined by a vet. Is this the first time that you have seen this happen with this bird in the 4 years you have had him?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is definitely the first time I've seen this. What do you recommend other than the seeds?

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
You should offer a variety of veggies as well as pellets that are made for small birds. Additional protein at the time of molting is helpful either by a commercially made egg food like this Protein Egg Food — Higgins Premium Pet Foods or you can hard boil an egg, I hard boil and egg and shred the white and the birds all love it. Vitamin A is one of the things which birds will become deficient in when on an all seed diet, your bird may benefit by the additional of vitamins such as Nekton Bio Nekton Biotin. It would be best to have the bird seen by a vet because there may be more of an issue here than just a nutritional issue. Please take a look at the articles in this link A Healthy Diet for your Budgie.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
What you are seeing is not normal. Do you know if the budgie is overpreening or being plucked by the other bird?

Nutrition plays a huge role in the health of a budgie's feathers.

A varied diet containing the essential vitamins is necessary.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Nutritional Diseases in Budgies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, well thank you for the advice, the Links etc! I'll ask a Vet this week what he or she thinks. Strangely enough, the affected bird is very active and chirpy! This is a new one for me & I've had birds all my life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please let us know what you find out at the Avian Vet appointment.
I'm sorry but there is no Avian Vets in this area. There are a couple of what I call 'regular vets' but nothing specifally for birds. The little tyke today looks like a long feather (thin and feathers dropping out even more) and yet, he was tearing around the kitchen on warp drive. I couldn't believe how much energy he seemed to have. I'll keep you folks posted as to what I find out.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Companion Animal Hospital out in Cole Harbour (they do small animals and exotics too, for anyone looking).

SunnyView Animal Care Center
Phone: 902-835-2223
Fax: 902-835-8837
Email: [email protected]
36 Duke Street, Unit #6
Bedford, Nova Scotia, B4A 2Z5

Parrots to Ferrets Animal Hospital
Dr. Benoit
Rockingham Ridge Plaza
30 Farnham Gate Road
(902)457-3353
www.parrotstoferrets.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the addresses although they are so far out of our area, it's not practical. Still as of today, the little tyke has more energy than his comrade. I threw in a piece of Broccoli and was totally surprised how the both of them went at it like it was going out of style. Now if the white budgie turns green, I'll credit it to that. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.