Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've been reading a lot of the questions posted and some of the stickies but didn't come across any exact answers I'm looking for....I'm sure its there somewhere but there is a lot to go through. I did read a sticky about quality seed mix. But I still have more questions:

1-what must a budgie have...right now I'm not sure on the seed quality I have so I will be changing that. I do not plan on breeding my girl and I read to avoid protein if that's the case. I saw the recommendation for Dr. Harvey's and Volkman's and was going to give that a try or is there something better for a non breeding budgie?

2-I have a cuddle bone in her cage and she eats different veggies but what else should I be giving her to keep her as healthy as I can?

Thanks!!! :)

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
It's great that your budgie girl likes her veggies, these coupled with a good seed mix (sprouted seeds included), pellets, the occasional little piece of fruit and egg food supplement during a moult should cover most of her needs. :)
The cuttlefish bone is a good source of calcium, you can also get her a mineral and a iodine block.

Did you check the Articles section? There is very good info there also on Diet and Nutrition.
You can start by checking this link below:
http://talkbudgies.com/articles-diet-nutrition/315033-healthy-diet-your-budgie.html

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the information and the link, you've been very helpful....what do you mean by an egg food supplement? If I eat a hard boiled egg she will eat a little of the egg white and yolk so would that be good to give her when she's moulting? Also what is a good brand of pellet food?

·
Member of the Month Sept 2014
1,298 Posts
Egg food supplement is readily available from most pet shops or online, I always added it to my budgies vegetables to help prepare them for breeding, if you can't get eggfood then a hardboiled egg is in my opinion just as good, don't forget to include the mashed up egg shell aswell, they love it :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just got some Zupreem fruit blend pellet food for Tiki. He's only been with me a week so I'm trying a few different things.

·
Member of the Month Sept 2014
1,298 Posts
Hi Norm
With all due respect if you have only had Tiki for a week may I please suggest that you don't change Tiki's diet just now, Tiki may still be a little scared taking into consideration her new home, new sights, sounds and people are intimidating at the moment, maybe in a few weeks when she is more relaxed you could slowly introduce the new food.
Pete :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Norm
With all due respect if you have only had Tiki for a week may I please suggest that you don't change Tiki's diet just now, Tiki may still be a little scared taking into consideration her new home, new sights, sounds and people are intimidating at the moment, maybe in a few weeks when she is more relaxed you could slowly introduce the new food.
Pete :)
Actually I only add a bit to his seed mix. I don't provide him with a separate bowl. I do appreciate the advice.

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,230 Posts
I can't find easily pellets in the place I live, so I give them a seed mix that my breeder has. It is good for the budgies. Then I offer them daily veggies such as lettuce, parsley, celery, etc. Once a week spinach, fruit and some egg. When they are molting, I give them some more times hard boiled and smashed egg. In the link that Aluz provided, you'll see some useful information.
Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.