Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to get into budgie genetics. Not breeding and I don't plan to breed, but I want to be able to recognize most mutations that I see. So far, I am finding opaline budgies by far the easiest to recognize! (Actually, when I googled opaline, one of Sue's budgies showed up in the image search: I recognized her at once). :p

Just a few questions for anyone who can / would be kind enough to explain this to me.

1. What is the difference between dominant and recessive pied?

2. How do you tell apart fallows, lacewings, and cinnamon budgies?

3. If a budgie has a yellow face and green body, would that make it yellow face type 2? Or does YF2 only apply to albinos? If not, would that make a blue budgie with a yellow face YF1? What are white faced budgies called?

lol I'm so confused. Please help.

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
Answers are in red

So I've been trying to get into budgie genetics. Not breeding and I don't plan to breed, but I want to be able to recognize most mutations that I see. So far, I am finding opaline budgies by far the easiest to recognize! (Actually, when I googled opaline, one of Sue's budgies showed up in the image search: I recognized her at once). :p

Just a few questions for anyone who can / would be kind enough to explain this to me.

1. What is the difference between dominant and recessive pied?

Dominant Pied: usually have a distinct pattern. There is always a band of clear body feathers across the lower-mid belly. This band can be very small to very large, encompassing almost the entire belly area. This band can also sometimes be irregular, not forming a complete band across the belly. There is also a band of clear feathers across the bottom of the wings. This band can be restricted to the very lower wing feathers or cover almost the entire wing area. Dominant pieds also always have a patch of clear feathers on the back of the head, usually about the size of a dime
http://www.***************/v_dominantpied8.jpg
http://www.***************/v_dominantpied2.jpg

"]Recessive pied budgies: [/B]have, in general, mostly clear feathers on all areas except the rump, which remains the original body color. In general there is a patch of normally colored body feathers near the bottom of the belly, with the rest of the body feathers being clear. Where there are marked feathers on the wings, these feathers are half clear near the top. The wings can have anywhere from a lot to very little marked feathers. The feathers on the head are mostly clear except sometimes for patches near the eyes and top of the head.
The recessive pied budgie's eyes are dark plum colored and never lighten with age; they always stay dark. This is how you can be sure a pied is recessive pied, since the dominant pied's eyes lighten normally with maturity. The cere of the male recessive pied also does not change normally. Adult male recessive pieds have purple ceres. Adult female recessive pieds have the normal white/tan/brown ceres.
http://www.***************/v_recessivepied2.jpg
Note : Chibi-Chibi is a recessive pied

2. How do you tell apart fallows, lacewings, and cinnamon budgies?

Fallow
fallow's head, wing, and tail markings are brownish. The body color is gradually diluted and is most visible on the rump. The eyes are red (some varieties do not have a pink iris, others do) and the cere of the male fallow does not change normally. Adult male fallows have purple ceres. Adult female fallows have the normal white/tan/brown ceres
http://www.***************/v_fallow1.jpg

Lacewing
Lacewing is a composite variety of lutino/albino and cinnamon. The budgie is mostly yellow (in yellow-based budgies) or mostly white (in white-based budgies). A suffusion of the body color is slightly visible in the body feathers. The markings of the head, wings, and tail show up as a light cinnamon color and the cheek patches are pale violet. The eyes are red/pink, and the cere of the male lacewing does not change normally. Adult male lacewings have purple ceres. Adult female lacewings have the normal white/tan/brown ceres
http://www.***************/v_lacewing3.jpg

Cinnamon
Cinnamon causes the normally black markings of the head and wings to turn brown. The cinnamon mutation does not affect the color of the body feathers, but sometimes can give them a cinnamony tinge

Cinnamon is the budgie in the bottom left corner aka Mimzy

3. If a budgie has a yellow face and green body, would that make it yellow face type 2? Or does YF2 only apply to albinos? If not, would that make a blue budgie with a yellow face YF1? What are white faced budgies called?

nope!
If a budgie is yellow and green , you do not say he is yellow faced

If a budgie is any color BUT green and has a yellow face , we say yellow face.
If a budgie is any color BUT green and has a yellow face with yellow going into the wings we say he is a yellow faced type two.

If a budgie yellow face is golden yellow , we say he is a goldenface
hope that cleared it up

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Dominant pieds have a solid band across the belly, have an iris ring and no markings on the flight feathers.
Recessive pieds or more white/yellow (depending on the case colour) and are blotchey, do not have an iris ring and do have markings on the flight feathers.

The easiest way to tell fallow and lace wing apart from cinnamon is 'cinnamons dont have red eyes'

But i cant tell the dfferent from lace wings and fallows sorry

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still don't understand the difference between lacewing and cinnamon really well, but that really helped clear up some of my confusion between dominant / recessive pieds! I'll remember now that dominant pieds have the bald spot. :p

The info on yellowface was very good as well. Thanks so much!

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
I still don't understand the difference between lacewing and cinnamon really well, but that really helped clear up some of my confusion between dominant / recessive pieds! I'll remember now that dominant pieds have the bald spot. :p

The info on yellowface was very good as well. Thanks so much!
lacewings are generally albinos or lutinos
while a cinnimon is just a normal budgie ( any mutation but albinos or lutinos ) that has brown wing markings

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oooooh! Okay, makes sense. :D

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Lace wings have red eyes. Cinnamons dont, althought they have plum eyes when young.
Lacewings are a mixture between an albino/lutino and cinnamon making a brown lace like pattern on the wings, their whole body is the same colour as their head (white/yellow)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.