Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. My name is Kira and I inherited my budgie Pepi when my nan sadly passed in March 2015. He has adjusted very well living with me, my daughter whos 8 and my dog.

I am looking to buy a young female budgie in the new year as Pepi has never been hand tamed. He lets me stroke him and has NEVER bitten me, but he is older now so he has never had time to adjust to any type of taming.

Yeah so anything else you wlould like to know just ask :)

·
Administrator
56,598 Posts
Hi and :welcome: to Talk Budgies!

I'm wondering why you are planning to get a female rather than another male?
Two males can become best friends and you don't have to be concerned about discouraging breeding. :)

To familiarize yourself with the forums, please take the time to read through all of the How To Guides, the FAQs and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
You'll find most of your basic questions are answered after you've read through all of them.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your budgie and hopefully seeing some pictures :photo: soon!!

TalkBudgies.com Rules and Guidelines
How-To Guides - Talk Budgies Forums
Frequently Asked Questions: Talk Budgies Forums - FAQ
List of Stickies - Talk Budgies Forums

http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/295033-prepared-veterinary-care-expense.html
http://talkbudgies.com/emergency-room/225585-my-birdy-first-aid-kit.html
http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/102714-quarantine-really-important.html
http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-info-[articles]/227841-50-common-budgie-dangers-watch-out.html

http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/175818-how-post-pictures-photobucket.html
http://talkbudgies.com/housing-budgies/24411-cage-sizes.html
Essentials to a Great Cage-Talk Budgies Forums

Examples Of Pictures To Post And Not Post - Talk Budgies Forums
http://talkbudgies.com/mutations-ge...king-mutation-gender-identification-help.html

Helpful Links - Talk Budgies Forums
Budgie Articles Forum - Talk Budgies Forums

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Hi Kira, welcome to talk budgies. We would love to see a pic or two of your little friend. Lot's of great budgie info here, and Deborah's link's are a great place to start...:)

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the ever exciting world of budgie ownership! :)
You came to the right place as you will find all you need to know on budgie care here.
You have my condolences for your grandmother's passing. It's good that you were able to take in Pepi. Even though he is older, it's still possible to work with him to reach a decent level of tameness. Be sure to check the detailed info and tips on the stickies at the Training and Bonding section of Talk Budgies.

Good luck with Pepi and with your search for a potential new friend for him.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Hello and :welcome: to you and Pepi! I'm so glad you are able to give him a loving home after your nan passed.

I agree that getting him a little male friend is better generally because you don't have to worry about breeding ;)

Males get along quite well and can have bonds as deep as a mated pair.

I hope to meet him quite soon and please do ask about anything you're wondering about as we're more than happy to help :thumbsup:

Hope to see you around! :wave:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all!

Sorry I did not reply to the posts but I never got an email at all! I do not really want to breed them to be honest. As the situation goes I was looking to go and get a baby bird in the new year, but new circumstances have arised where my cousin can no longer look after his female budgie. He knows I have adopted our nans Budgie so he has approached me to re home her. This Monday 9th November I will be a newbie Budgie owner of 2!

I have posted a thread about how to introduce them as neither of them are trained but are tame when offering food etc but both do not step up etc.

Here is a few pics of Pepi. He is such a little character! He sings when I play music and chirps away when hes on the window sill looking outside. When it was hot weather I put him out in his cage on my little balcony and he would sing and sing and sing!

I will post pics of the new birdie when she is home and settled. I must say I am excited! I never had to pay for a new cage or a new birdie. Even though it will be harder work as they are both not tame etc I am willing to show them they can trust me. :)

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,192 Posts
Pepi is just gorgeous! and going through a molt on top of getting a new home, poor guy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pepi is just gorgeous! and going through a molt on top of getting a new home, poor guy.
That was an old photo I took within a week of getting him home, I think in April of this year. Hes looking like hes molting again, how many times do they molt? I have read a few things to help them when they moult. Any more tips?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi and welcome to TB,Kira! Pepi is adorable!:loveeyes::giggle:
Thank you so much! Hes a little character. Hes been with me for about 7 months now. He adjusted very well within a few weeks. He loves to sit in his cage on the window sill and outside when its warm and sunny. Right now he is napping in my room (warmest room of the house as the weather is cold here). Later when we are having a few drinks with some music he will sing along and chirp with us. Midnight snacks are his fav aswell!:budgie:

·
3,192 Posts

·
3,192 Posts
Instead of quarter the amount of egg, I just use one hard boiled egg for it. The extra protein from it is always good for a molt like this. I actually have to make some myself for Lyla.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Instead of quarter the amount of egg, I just use one hard boiled egg for it. The extra protein from it is always good for a molt like this. I actually have to make some myself for Lyla.
I saved the recipe adn Monday I shall buy some extra bits as I already have eggs to boil :) I can not wait to see if he lieks it. Can you freeze it or do you think it will de frost to be nasty?

·
3,192 Posts
I saved the recipe adn Monday I shall buy some extra bits as I already have eggs to boil :) I can not wait to see if he lieks it. Can you freeze it or do you think it will de frost to be nasty?
Not sure! Never froze mine. You have to replace it in the cage every 4 hours so it doesn't spoil, so you'll probably go through it pretty quick at the ratio I specified. I usually get organic everything, and if you get organic eggs, you can include the shell also! Just make sure it's broken up really good as you don't want to perforate anything internally. They generally break the shells up to make them bites sized anyway, but just to be safe. Better safe now than sorry later! If you have a food processor it really makes making this a breeze.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Not sure! Never froze mine. You have to replace it in the cage every 4 hours so it doesn't spoil, so you'll probably go through it pretty quick at the ratio I specified. I usually get organic everything, and if you get organic eggs, you can include the shell also! Just make sure it's broken up really good as you don't want to perforate anything internally. They generally break the shells up to make them bites sized anyway, but just to be safe. Better safe now than sorry later! If you have a food processor it really makes making this a breeze.
Ahh yes better to make it fresh then. Thats godo to know the whole egg gets used! I will have to give this a try and report back! Thank you all so much for you help!:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.