Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We woke up this morning and found our budgie with wet looking feathers all over and this red coloring on his breast feathers. He was making jerking motion with his head. He has been sleeping most of the day and is not eating or drinking much anymore. I'm not sure what to do. I sent the picture and video to a vet and they say he is vomiting. I don't have access to a vet in the area that treats avians. Any suggestions? This change occurred overnight. Yesterday I noticed the head jerking motion a bit after eating. I did not know it would turn to this.

Sent from my Sony Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He only ate his bird seeds and the Harrisons pellets, maybe some lettuce. I don't think he had human food yesterday, the day before he had some quinoa. Unless he ingested something in the cage.

Why is the vomit dark? If that's what is on his breast feathers You don't think it's blood do you?

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
That is why I was asking what he ate, I cannot tell if it is blood, does it look like dried blood in person? He needs to be seen by a vet that sees birds, you can look for an exotic vet in your area, they usually treat birds.

·
Administrator
57,046 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

It is VERY IMPORTANT that you get your budgie to an Avian Vet right away for the proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

Please be sure to let us know how the budgie (name?) is doing after you've had him seen by the Avian Veterinarian.
Sending good wishes and healing energy for your little fellow.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I understand, the vet has been booked for Monday, that was the soonest I could get considering it is the weekend and it was last minute. Thankfully he seems to be doing better today. No more vomiting and he came out flew around and has been drinking water and tried eating a bit. Definitely an improvement but I'm glad I was able to get the appointment so at least they can check him out.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Has he cleaned up his feathers, it will be helpful for the vet to see the material that was vomited up. If there is still some stuck to the cage or cage covers or papers be sure to save it and take it with you to the vet, if not be sure to show the vet the picture. Take some fresh droppings along also and/or put a white paper towel beneath his sleeping spot and capture the overnight droppings and take them with you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm that's a good idea, however I cleaned pretty thoroughly the cage and covering so I don't think there is any samples I can take for that but I do have the pictures and a video. The droppings I have on the paper towel as you said.

And yeah he cleaned up all his feathers.

·
Super Moderator
18,573 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Cody and FaeryBee have given you great advice. I’m so sorry to hear of your budgie’s condition but hope he recovers.

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us posted!

Cheers! 👋

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So my budgie was OK the past week after the vet but past two days started doing the jerking motion with his head and today I think he vomited again. When he shakes ruffles himself to expel whatever it is, a lot of hard things come out and scatter all over. I think it's bird seed that is coming out an hasn't been digested. I'm going to follow up again with the vet tommorow. The vet did not feel any need for tests at the time because he looked to be recovering. Also physical exam was normal. Although a bit underweight at 32 grams

If you guys have any recommendation in the meantime please let me know.

The past week I eliminated all human food. Only eats lettuce, some cooked broccoli, Harrisons pellets and bird seed.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Since he is vomiting again, at the very least I would want a gram stain test done on a crop swab and the droppings. Was it an avian vet that you saw? Just doing a physical exam will not reveal if there is an internal infection of some sort. Even ill birds have a way of looking ok at the vet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it was avian vet. Also thanks for the links to the electrolyte. I made the homemade recipe and fed him some from a small glass. He seems back to his usual self this evening after sleeping with his head curled all day. Chirped and ate, also tried to fly into my dish of pasta and attacked me for my salad lol. But our food is off limits right now. He definitely tries to eat, he had his pellets multiple times today and some bird seeds. Fed him some mashed pear and apple and he nibbled a few bites. Droppings looked more normal as well. Really strange. I'll mention to the vet about the tests.

·
Administrator
57,046 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Your budgie really should be in his cage when you are eating and you need to ensure that the foods he gets are all "budgie safe".

Safe Foods for Budgies

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,573 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee and Cody have given great advice and I agree completely. I’m so sorry to hear of your budgie’s illness and I hope he’s able to get the care he needs to recover soon :( Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies” to ensure you’re up to date on everything! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us posted!

Cheers! 👋

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.