Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently got 2 hand raised budgies and they are very into biting everything in their cage. I can tell they are happy and they come up to see me when i talk to them. My problem is that they bite for no reason. I've been sitting my hand beside the cage hoping they will get used to it. When i put my hand inside the cage they happily come over and climb onto it but start biting extremely hard. They don't seem stressed or scared either. I'm not sure how to prevent them from doing this. When i also take them out of the cage they fly away and land somewhere up high. They don't even seem that food motivated when i try give them millet to encourage them to stay with me. I can tell they like me, i am constantly sitting at me desk about 30cm's away from them so i am at a loss of what to do. Will they grow out of it or is there something i can do?

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Hi and Welcome to Talk Budgies

Budgies may bite because they are afraid, or to show dominance.
If your budgie is scared and biting, you should give it some space.
Spending a lot of time with your budgie, without touching him, can help him learn to trust you.
If your budgie does bite you, even though it may really hurt, you should try to ignore it.
Another option is to try to get your budgie to repeatedly "step up" from finger to finger several times in a row right after he bites.
When he realizes this will happen every time he bites, he may stop.
You can also try distracting your budgies from biting by offering a toy.
Some people push back gently on the budgie’s beak when it bites. The budgie will stop biting in order to regain his balance.
Some birds do not like to be held or touched -- however they may still be willing to interact with you on their terms (e.g. nibbling a treat your hand but remaining safely on their perch).

Your budgies should not be forced to come out of their cage. They should only come out if that is what they want to do.
All birds have a tendency to perch as high as possible - this is normal behavior.

Trying to get your birds to "stay with you" isn't going to work. Budgies are not like cats and dogs. It is important you allow them to be birds and take your cues from their behavior. Sometimes once they trust you implicitly, they will decide they which to sit on your shoulder or whatever.

You can check the Taming and Bonding Stickies. Perhaps your budgies would do well with "clicker training".

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES

List of Stickies

Posting on the Forums

Let's Talk Budgies!

FAQ

Articles

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense

Avian First Aid

Quarantine IS Necessary!

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old

Tips For Discouraging Breeding

Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies

Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Cage sizes.

Essentials to a Great Cage

Resource Directory

·
Registered
86 Posts
Since you spend a lot of time with them, can you tell the difference between them angrily biting you / being scared and biting you, vs them biting you in an exploratory kind of way? One of my budgies loves biting me but it never hurts, and it always felt like they were just exploring. It's the worst when she's sat on my shoulder and nibbles the folds of my neck, cause that hurts!

It could be they're not used to your hand yet, they're only used to seeing it outside the cage. Once you put your hand inside their cage, you're invading their personal space and they might feel threatened. Depending on how recently you got them, this could explain the hard biting. It takes a few weeks to slowly build up trust with them. Instead of reaching into their cage, try opening the door and letting them step up onto your hand / finger first, and make it the routine before you let them out. If you open the cage door and they both fly out whilst avoiding your hand (or don't come out at all), it's a safe bet that they're not used to your hand yet.

As for them flying to high perches in the room, it's just their instinct, they love being high up. I had to remove shelving in my room because it was frustrating when I would have to get a ladder to bring them down. Now I only put perches in places within tiptoeing reach.

·
Super Moderator
18,238 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

You've been given great advice above and I agree completely.

You've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices, so please be sure to read through all the links provided above by FaeryBee, which include the forums' many articles and "stickies" (threads "stuck" to the top of each subforum for easy reference) to ensure you're up to date on everything!

If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

Please keep us posted on how things are going!

Best wishes 👋

1 - 4 of 4 Posts