Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night my budgie stopped eating. I noticed he pecked a bit at lettuce in the morning, and had very little seeds which is unusual for him and didn't want any pellets. Today he is not eating at all, appears to be breathing faster almost like in distress. and not even drinking very much. In the morning he drank a few times. I bought Pedialyte and he drank some of that about 2 or 3 times. But since then he hasn't been drinking anymore. He just sits perched, not wanting to move or do anything anymore, overall zoned out. He must feel very sick. It's too bad because the day before that he was so active, chirping and playing, it is like night and day.

I posted here before regarding his episode of vomiting several months ago, but the vet didn't think it was an infection so no tests were done. And in fact, he was really normal and active just a few days ago. I've been keeping a close eye on his poop and it has been completely normal and well formed. Which is why there was no indication to take him back to the vet for further testing. We attributed the intermittent vomiting to eating our food (really just plain quinoa, hard boiled egg, papaya broccoli etc...only very few items and only safe foods), when we removed those foods he got better. However not sure if that was the real cause.

He may not survive the night, I have to wait another 12 hours until the animal clinic is open so I can talk to the vet. Not sure what else I can do for him in the meantime. We have just been trying to keep him comfortable and keep him company. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
4,394 Posts
Sorry your bird is ill, all you can do is keep him warm and comfortable until you can reach the vet, are there any emergency vets in your area that see birds, if so you could contact them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today he is still in his typical sleeping posture with neck curled around. Most of the day like that. I was afraid he was going to die, but he seems to be stabilized for now. His poop has some dark solid in it now (before it was just pure greenish water). He went and ate a bit today on his own which was good to see. But he has trouble getting around. I've been keeping up the Pedialyte. I think he is still in bad shape.

I'm highly suspecting it to be liver disease, based on the look of the poop, his past diet, symptoms etc. So I bought some milk thistle seed tea bags to make tea out of. At this point I have nothing to lose. I'm just not sure how much to give him in a day. I'll try just a few sips tonight. I hope it doesn't do any more harm, but everything i've read online says it is safe. If anyone thinks otherwise please let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.