Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this morning I let Sonny into the girls cage again (I know, Bad girl!) and I realized how much bigger he and Cloud are to Alex. Alex is an american and Sonny and Cloud are both english, selective breedeing changes alot of things!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have two male budgies. Archie is about 3 months older than Bentley, yet Bentley since the day we had him looked bigger than Archie. We were told that the breeder for the pet shop we had Bentley from breeds show birds and they think that may be the reason he's bigger than Archie. They don't look a lot different now but Bentley still has that slightly bigger edge on Archie!

xx

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two male budgies. Archie is about 3 months older than Bentley, yet Bentley since the day we had him looked bigger than Archie. We were told that the breeder for the pet shop we had Bentley from breeds show birds and they think that may be the reason he's bigger than Archie. They don't look a lot different now but Bentley still has that slightly bigger edge on Archie!

xx
I know! Just a few decades of selective breeding can nearly double the size!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

xx
Aha! I thought Bentley looked like an English/show budgie from your photos. ;) I have both, as well as a few 50/50 mixes, and it's so interesting to see the size range.

Yes, selective breeding is an amazing thing! Just look at all the mutations we have, for instance. Crazy to think they all came a little green and yellow bird.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Alex is an american and Sonny and Cloud are both english,
All budgies are Australian, not English or American :p
We call them normal or pet budgies and the big ones with the boof heads are show budgies (aka "English" budgies) :D:D:D:D:D:D
Oh and then there's also "bush" budgies, they are the smallest and only come in green ;)
Have a look at the tiny little fella in this article, how cute is he :)
http://scienceillustrated.com.au/blog/nature/baby-bush-budgie/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.