Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so i got my budgie 5 days ago and for the first few days he (i think) was adjusting fine. I am 15 and my parents dont allow pets inside so we keep him just outside under the veranda. If its raining or too cold, of course I bring him inside. I am not an expert on budgies and i am still learning but he was chirping to the wild birds and eating and popping normally. Yesterday he started sleeping a lot and eating a lot more. I don't know what changed. He eats a lot of his seeds (i know i need to transition him onto pellets but I am waiting until he is settled in) but I've tried giving him vegetables and millet spray and he has no interest in them. A few days ago he was still scared for me to put my hand in the cage to change his feed and water, but today i tried and he seemed completely unresponsive, even when i accidentally touched him. There are no local avian vets around me only pet stores. Any advice? Thanks

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Look at this thread and see if you can't locate an Avian Vet (or at least an Exotic Pet Veterinarian who has experience dealing with small birds) in your area.

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Where are you located?
It is not a good idea to keep your budgie outside on the veranda.
There are too many things that can go wrong and you run the risk of predators attacking the budgie (name?) even though it is in a cage.
Are you changing the food and water when the cage is outside? This is a big mistake if you are.
What will you do if the budgie escapes?

Budgies should not be handled for a minimum of 2 weeks.

If the budgie is fluffed up, lethargic and/or is not eating, drinking and pooping normally, then it needs to be examined by an Avian Vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Any pet, no matter the cost or whether it was "free", is a living breathing creature.
When a person "adopts" a pet, that individual assumes the responsibility of caring for that animal.
The pet is totally dependent on the owner for everything, including receiving the medical care and attention it deserves if it becomes ill or injured.
Proper housing is extremely important as well.

Those who believe that the expense of having a pet ends should be only the cost of the pet plus food, housing and toys are leaving out the most important part of the equation.
Giving the animal adequate medical care is integral part of providing it with a safe and loving home.

Diet is ALWAYS a huge part in the health of any animal as is the cleanliness of the animal's housing conditions.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, so i know i shouldn't keep Bobbie outside but I only put him out there when the weather in nice. There are no predators in my area and if there were Bobbie's cage is very high up so they can't touch him. I had another budgie for 6 years who lived half outside and half inside like this and she was very happy and safe. I am changing the food and water outside, may i ask what the problem is with that and what I should do? By veranda I ment a covered patio with walls and only one open area. My last budgie 'escaped' once but just flew around and came back to the cage. I know my situation isn't the best for Bobbie but i am trying to make the best out of it for him. I will try to find a vet for him soon, however I am in lockdown rn so it might take a while.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What is the climate in your part of Australia? Did your budgie come from a pet shop? If so, the outdoors may be very new and different to him. Perhaps even overwhelming. Regardless, 5 days is a very short time and I wouldn't expect anything of him for a while...such as accepting new foods or accepting you, for that matter. Be patient. And as @FaeryBee said, I wouldn't be changing his food and water outdoors. That's an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where i live its basically the same temperature everyday at the moment, around 20 degrees Celsius. He did come from a pet shop, however the cage he was kept in was in a similar environment to where he is right now but yes he could be overwhelmed. A few hours ago he ate a spinach leaf from my hand (through the cage) and ate a lot. Something ive noticed is that he prefers to eat the bigger seeds in his mix and leaves the small ones. What do you recommend i do about changing the food and water outside?

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
Move the cage indoors when you need to clean the cage and/or change the food and water.
You do not want any open windows or doors through which Bobby could escape.
Changing the food and water outdoors is taking an unnecessary risk with your budgie.

Please make sure you read ALL of the budgie articles and stickies in order to learn the best practices for caring for Bobby.

Safe Foods for Budgies

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok i will do that thanks! Is it possible he is just a lazy budgie? everything apart from his sleeping schedule is normal. He even clicks his beak when he sees me in the morning.

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
Is Bobby molting by any chance?
Do you know how old he is?

Budgies generally have a first light molt at around 3 - 4 months old and another at 6 -7 months old.
When a budgie reaches at 1 year old their molts adjust to the Seasons., After the adjustment the budgie will have its big molts in the Spring and Fall. Budgies may also have lighter molts throughout the year; triggered by stress, change in diet or change in environment.

You can supplement your budgie’s diet with egg food during a molt.
This helps your budgies replenish the energy lost during the time they lose and grow in the new feathers.
Additionally, egg food promotes good and healthy feather growth.

It is possible to buy ready-made egg food at any specialized pet store but just as easy to make your own by hard boiling an egg, mashing it up and mixing it with a bit of cooked quinoa and flax seed. You can also finely chop some veggies and add it to the egg food mix.

Budgies get itchy during their molt, so they'll preen and scratch more often.
Additionally, they may be sleepier and quieter as molting takes a lot of energy, and their poop could be a little runnier.
To make them more comfortable, you can offer them baths either in a shallow dish of water at the bottom of their cage or by hanging wet greens (romaine lettuce or kale works best) in their cage so they can nibble on it and rub against them.

Molting FAQs

Miserable Molting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have looked into molting and I'm pretty sure he is. Last night just before bed he started scratching his head a lot and his poops do seem a bit runnier than normal. I tried giving him a boiled egg yesterday, he didnt seem interested but I will try again today. Thanks!

·
Banned
339 Posts
Are the gates on the cage openable/locked?

I came home from work a few days after I got my BB and he had let himself out. I think he had been out all day cos when I lured him back into his cage he ate ferociously.

I know budgies can get out but he is just a baby and he was very new so I didn't think it would happen so soon.

Lucky he was inside. If I had been keeping him outside he woulda taken off for sure and probably would have been eaten by a predator :eek:

·
Super Moderator
18,902 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee has given great advice and resources and I agree completely.

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, provided above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us posted!

Cheers! 👋

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.