Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

I came back late after a night out a few days ago and I found my bird Tybalt looking fluffed up
he started to vomit and was panicking a lot, he threw up grit (which is oyster shell by the way)
and whole seeds covering his feathers

I took him to a vet thinking he had kidney trouble since the pain in his claw could be gout I thought
she gave me something to clear it up and also offered to do a crop wash but I refused since he's 13 and I don't think he'd survive it

but what makes me think its something else is they he does not want to drink now which I know is not the case with kidney problems, also he can't stop eating millet and he's not only eaten all the oyster shell out of his cage but all the oyster shell out of my other bird's cage as well

please get back in touch it would break my heart if anything happened to him

all the best and please help

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
In my opinion the vet should have done a fecal gram stain test and a crop swab to see if there is an infection anywhere, when a bird is vomiting it is quite common that there is a bacterial or fungal infection either in the GI tract or in the crop. All that is needed for a fecal test is a fresh dropping and the crop/mouth swab just consists of swabbing the mouth and doing a smear on a slide, staining it and looking at it under the microscope. If the vet did not find anything on the physical exam these are basic tests that should be run.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Budgies should never be given girt as it can lead to crop impaction. That includes "oyster shell grit".

I hope your little one recovers. Please keep us updated on his progress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.