Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a bump on the left side of my budgie today, and tried to spray the part with water to see what was going on beneath:

It doesn't look good.

What could this be?
An infection? A tumor?

I think she has had it for a while.

She is currently eating well and making sounds and seem happy and normal. As I can see from her droppings, it seems normal.

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
It looks like it might be some sort of fatty tumor, it looks like it is on the outside of the skin but I see feathers growing out of the area, I have never seem them on the outside of the skin they are usually just under the skin, it is firm or soft? You should take her to an avian vet for diagnosis if it gets larger it may begin to impair her ability to move around and fly normally. Here is a link in which you can search for an avian vet by entering in your country, if you cannot find one near you look for a vet that treats exotics they commonly also treat birds. If that does not work contact a zoo and ask who they use to treat their birds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like it might be some sort of fatty tumor, it looks like it is on the outside of the skin but I see feathers growing out of the area, I have never seem them on the outside of the skin they are usually just under the skin, it is firm or soft? You should take her to an avian vet for diagnosis if it gets larger it may begin to impair her ability to move around and fly normally. Here is a link in which you can search for an avian vet by entering in your country, if you cannot find one near you look for a vet that treats exotics they commonly also treat birds. If that does not work contact a zoo and ask who they use to treat their birds.
Thx for your response Cody. It seems firm, and kind of feels like skin. I will get her to the vet asap.

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!!

You’ve come to the best possible place to learn even more about the best budgie care practices.

That definitely is not normal and does appear as if it could be a fatty tumor (lipoma) of some sort. It's great to hear that you will get her to the vet ASAP as that is the best course of action at this time!

Cody has given you great advice and resources and I agree with her completely. Meanwhile, please be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies" to ensure you’re up to date on everything! If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

Best wishes 👋

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Please update us on your budgie's condition after seeing the Avian Veterinarian.

Avian Association of Veterinarians

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I went to a vet, she wasn't really an avian vet (there is far between them where I live), but I had heard her name from other vets recommending her for birds.

She believed that it is an outside fatty tumor as @Cody also thought.
I asked her how it could happen and she said that its most likely bad genes.

She also said that I basically have two options:
  • One is the leave her be and hope that the tumor doesn't grow that much but added that it probably will grow bigger (I asked her if it could disappear by it self, but she said that it will most likely grow) and then say goodbye to her if the tumor gets too big for her to live with.
  • Another option is to operate her, where she recommended "Abild Dyrehospital" that has experience in exotic birds and operations. The operation will cost aprox 900$ and I have to take two days off work as I have to travel to there.
She also added that the longer I wait with the operation there more complicated can the operation be, due to the tumors size. Currently its basically the size of a small wallnut.

I might also add that she believed that an operation is possible with good outcome, as it is an outside tumor. No organs or anything should be affected by the tumor. She also said that she didn't believe that my bird was in any pain, besides some irritation from the tumor and having to walk/fly around with an extra volume. But the tumor seems to look fine for a tumor, meaning that there is no infection and no open cut. The outside skin it thicker due to growth and skin irritation.

Also my bird does not seem sick in any way; she eats well, she walks around and flies (my cage is always open for them to take a flight) and she also sings like she always does when I talk to her :)

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Are you going to take her in for the operation?

I would recommend you start giving her knotgrass as a supplement.
Knotgrass is a natural plant and you cannot "overdose" her with it.

You can read about it in this link:

Help for tumors in budgies

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
She looks very uncomfortable to me. :(

You can feed the knotgrass "tea leaves" as an "herb-like" supplement.
You can also make the knotgrass into a tea and give her that to drink at room temperature.
You can mix some of the lknotgrass eaves in with chopped vegetables and/or egg food.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She looks very uncomfortable to me. :(

You can feed the knotgrass "tea leaves" as an "herb-like" supplement.
You can also make the knotgrass into a tea and give her that to drink at room temperature.
You can mix some of the lknotgrass eaves in with chopped vegetables and/or egg food.
I think I disturbed her while grooming though, in the above picture. Normally she doesn't sit like that.

But I've been watching her the last days and I can clearly see that it irritates her. She also has like almost too much movement sometimes, and I think its because it scratches.

I have decided that I will go on with the operation, so next step is to arrange it.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Please keep us updated.
I hope you will be able to get it scheduled soon so she isn't so uncomfortable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts