Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, Mizu is too attached to the toy to the point that he doesn't play with me as much and rather stay in the cage with his toy. He even regurgitates on the toy quite often. Should I get rid of the toy? If so, how should I without stressing him out too much? When I take out the toy he would cry. I once took out the toy for a week (because i broke it by accident and had to wait a week to get it). As soon as I bought a new toy (the same one) he becomes happy again and continues his regular chirping. He had the toy for two months but I only noticed the signs of attachment three weeks ago.

I do constantly rotate the toys but he finds a way to spend time with that one toy....

FYI: this is the toy https://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Activitoys-Basketball/dp/B003V71508/

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had the same toy, but I got rid of it. Personally, I do not like mirrors. My Stormy had a lot of fun with this, so it broke my heart to take it out and hear him cry :( but like yours, he would try to feed it and became really aggressive to me. He was sitting on it when he bit me so hard on the webbing between my thumb and index finger, and I bled a lot. That was when I decided to take it out.
He screamed and cried nonstop for about a week, but I bought him two new toys to cheer him up and he forgot about the old one :) Also, I left the basketball for him because he liked to swing around on it. I just unhooked it from the bar and hung it from the ceiling of his cage :)
Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same toy, but I got rid of it. Personally, I do not like mirrors. My Stormy had a lot of fun with this, so it broke my heart to take it out and hear him cry :( but like yours, he would try to feed it and became really aggressive to me. He was sitting on it when he bit me so hard on the webbing between my thumb and index finger, and I bled a lot. That was when I decided to take it out.
He screamed and cried nonstop for about a week, but I bought him two new toys to cheer him up and he forgot about the old one :) Also, I left the basketball for him because he liked to swing around on it. I just unhooked it from the bar and hung it from the ceiling of his cage :)
Good luck!
Thank you very much for sharing your story. Looks like I have to do the same. I actually did a little experiment and let Mizu play with just the ball but he was also regurgitating on it. Looks like I have to buy some new toys for Mizu! ^_^

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
When we had to remove Belle the bell from our budgie's cage, I tried to remember that even though he was sad, I was ultimately helping him. He gets so much more affection and love from us than he ever could from a mirror toy. They toy is a one way relationship. He'll ultimately be happier being close to you!

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
I completely agree with all advice given so far :thumbsup:

Leslie is absolutely right--even though at first you'll be sad to see him cry and pine for his toy, without it, his mental health will be more stable because he'll be more open to a more fulfilling relationship, this time with you. Also, he will learn to have fun with lots of different toys this way, too :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.