Talk Budgies Forums banner

Budgie vomiting this morning!

557 Views 56 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Cody
My 7 year old budgie Zim Zam has been vomiting her pellets/seeds several times this morning (at least twice, maybe more) I was concerned about her over the weekend because she was favoring a foot she previously dislocated, but today her foot is better but she's been somewhat lethargic and vomiting all morning. She did eat again a second ago, but she seems to not want to drink, she runs away when I put her water dish close to her but eats the pellet dust I give her.

I just emailed my vet and I'm waiting for a response (she's been in and out of the vet for issues with her weight for the past month) but what do I do for her in the meantime? I'm super worried

She just vomited again, and is still trying to eat even so. Still not taking water though. We got a vet appointment for tomorrow afternoon but I want her to be as comfortable as possible and try to stop the vomiting. What do I do?
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
She may have a crop or GI tract infection, I would remove the food for a couple of hours and replace it after a couple of hours and see if she continues to vomit when she eats. When you go to the vet make sure they do a gram stain test on a crop swab and one on the droppings to check for bacteria, fungal issues or parasites. Are you seeing an avian vet?
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
She may have a crop or GI tract infection, I would remove the food for a couple of hours and replace it after a couple of hours and see if she continues to vomit when she eats. When you go to the vet make sure they do a gram stain test on a crop swab and one on the droppings to check for bacteria, fungal issues or parasites. Are you seeing an avian vet?
Just removed her food, I'm keeping her in the cage today to separate her from her siblings so she can rest. Also, she had literally just gotten her gram stain results back from last week just a few days ago with no sign of anything wrong (we got it done because of her weight loss to rule out AGY) She does have a bit of liver dysfunction, but the vet was unsure why that would cause this sudden of vomiting. Also yes, she's an exotics/avian vet. I will ask about the crop swab though. Thank you Cody!
Just because no AGY showed up in the gram stain does not mean it is not there, it is not uncommon for it not to show because it will only show if it is being actively shed. I have had birds with it both ways, showing and not showing up. I have also treated many with liver issues and the only time it made one of them vomit was when there was an actual infection in the liver . How do her droppings look?
  • Helpful
Reactions: 1
Just because no AGY showed up in the gram stain does not mean it is not there, it is not uncommon for it not to show because it will only show if it is being actively shed. I have had birds with it both ways, showing and not showing up. I have also treated many with liver issues and the only time it made one of them vomit was when there was an actual infection in the liver . How do her droppings look?
That's harrowing about the AGY. I haven't seen her poop much today, I figure its all been coming up out the other end. I also haven't seen her vomit again since this morning but she also hasn't had much of anything to eat or drink. I put towels under her to catch her poop if she does so I'll let you know what those look like. They have been completely normal for sure since before this morning.
The AGY organism lives in the GI tract only and because it can be shed intermittently and also not in large quantities it can sometimes take numerous samples to see it under the microscope. Amphotericin B is the only drug that effectively treats an AGY infection, other anti fungal drugs do not work against it. The Amphotericin B is a harsh drug and sometimes not well tolerated so other meds may be needed to protect the GI tract during treatment. It is important to keep you bird hydrated so try to get her to drink a little water or Pedialyte. Here are some options for
electrolytes Guardian Angel // Pedialyte // Pedialyte Recipe
  • Helpful
The AGY organism lives in the GI tract only and because it can be shed intermittently and also not in large quantities it can sometimes take numerous samples to see it under the microscope. Amphotericin B is the only drug that effectively treats an AGY infection, other anti fungal drugs do not work against it. The Amphotericin B is a harsh drug and sometimes not well tolerated so other meds may be needed to protect the GI tract during treatment. It is important to keep you bird hydrated so try to get her to drink a little water or Pedialyte. Here are some options for
electrolytes Guardian Angel // Pedialyte // Pedialyte Recipe
Thank you, I'll try making some Pedialyte in a bit for her. With how toxic Ampho B is, I've been really scared about this being AGY since that's the only treatment from what I've heard. What was your experience with it in your birds, and what medications can I ask the vet about as measures to help with the toxicity of it?

Zim also managed to poop a little bit, but it looks like just the urates? and it seems chalky and yellow. I haven't seen her vomit since this morning though, and she's eating again. Also got her to sip some water
Textile Wood Grey Mesh Insect
See less See more
The things that were prescribed did not decrease the toxicity but help tolerate the Ampho B, there was something to help with vomiting called metoclopramide, another drug to help with GI motility Cisapride and another called Carafate that is sort of a GI protectant. Not all birds will need these and are there are very specific instructions that need to be followed regarding when they are given. The first bird I had with it had relapses off and on along with bacterial infections for about a year and a half and I lost him after a 3 week hospitalization, the second one survived he had it 2 years ago and has been ok since then with no relapses. 🤞
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3
The things that were prescribed did not decrease the toxicity but help tolerate the Ampho B, there was something to help with vomiting called metoclopramide, another drug to help with GI motility Cisapride and another called Carafate that is sort of a GI protectant. Not all birds will need these and are there are very specific instructions that need to be followed regarding when they are given. The first bird I had with it had relapses off and on along with bacterial infections for about a year and a half and I lost him after a 3 week hospitalization, the second one survived he had it 2 years ago and has been ok since then with no relapses. 🤞
I'm sorry about the bird you lost, but I'm happy the other one is doing well! If the vet is suspecting of AGY today I'll ask about those other medications, thank you. Also Zim seems a little better this morning, she's still a little out of sorts but she ate a bit and is drinking a lot more and is a bit more active. It also looked like her droppings went from just the urates to very very green, which might mean she's hungry? I also haven't seen her vomit since yesterday, but I figure it's still worth a vet visit. Thank you for your help Cody!
Glad she is not vomiting today, it is definitely worth another vet visit, keep us posted.
Just got back from the vet! They still don't seem convinced of AGY since she's doing better now and doesn't seem to have any other presenting symptoms, they think that the vomiting could've been from whatever discomfort was happening with her feet (she had a little bumblefoot spot on the area where her dislocation was, could be from the weird way she sits on her food bowl also).

Zim also has always had some strange issues with the feathers around her eyes since she was hatched, but its been a bit worse on her right eye lately so they gave me some broad spectrum antibiotics to see if that helps that (could've also been part of the discomfort that caused the vomiting)

Also they trimmed her nails and because of how rowdy she was the sander accidentally nicked her feet a little and gave her a few tiny cuts, the vet said it shouldn't be a big deal but to keep an eye on it 😕 Little concerned about that, but I just cleaned her perches to limit any kind of infection or anything. Otherwise she's resting up after all that with her siblings right now, poor thing.
See less See more
  • Sad
I've been making a lot of changes to her cage in an attempt to aid with the bumblefoot issue, but its been putting all of my birds out of sorts, they're all extremely mad at me and stressed out.

Zim is also vomiting again this morning, her whole face is wet which tells me it's alot worse than it was that one morning. I'm not sure if its because of the Metacam and Doxycycline or if it's stress or if it's pain or sickness. I'm getting more and more concerned though and I'm starting to freak out a bit, I feel like I'm doing everything wrong.
She's much worse this morning, completely lethargic, hasn't moved since earlier this morning when she was vomiting violently again. I can't get her to eat or drink anything. I'm scared and so heartbroken for her, I don't know what to do.
The vet you have been seeing is not making an accurate diagnosis is there another vet that you can see? As I stated previously, just because the AGY is not showing up in a test does not mean it is not there, if you cannot see another vet I would ask your current vet if they can treat for AGY and see if she improves. She really needs to be hospitalized at this point if she cannot eat or drink, the vet can gavage feed her in the hospital and medicate her until she is stable.
The vet you have been seeing is not making an accurate diagnosis is there another vet that you can see? As I stated previously, just because the AGY is not showing up in a test does not mean it is not there, if you cannot see another vet I would ask your current vet if they can treat for AGY and see if she improves. She really needs to be hospitalized at this point if she cannot eat or drink, the vet can gavage feed her in the hospital and medicate her until she is stable.
There is another avian vet and hospital farther away, I can try to call them. I'm worried about being able to afford the cost of hospitalization, I don't know how pricey it gets, but I'm willing to do it if there's a chance it'll save my baby.
Search here for avian vets, https://www.aav.org/page/education put in your city and state and open the radius up to at least 25 miles and see what you get, are any the vet you have already seen or are thinking about seeing. If possible, it is best to see a vet for which birds are a large part of their practice.
Search here for avian vets, https://www.aav.org/page/education put in your city and state and open the radius up to at least 25 miles and see what you get, are any the vet you have already seen or are thinking about seeing. If possible, it is best to see a vet for which birds are a large part of their practice.
Taking her to For Pet’s Sake right now, I’ve been to them in the past but have recently been seeing this closer vet that has one avian practitioner. What should I expect from the hospitalization process? I’m praying she’ll be in good hands but I’m nervous about leaving her far away from home
Ask lots of questions, what are they going to treat for, will they be tube feeding her, what meds will she be taking, will they be giving her fluids, by that I mean fluids under the skin not by mouth.
Just an update: Zim is staying in hospitalization over the weekend and from what the vet told me over the phone they had given her some anti-nausea medicine to break the vomiting cycle (when I spoke to the vet this morning he said she hadn't vomited at all today) and are tube feeding her while still offering her normal food I provided and millet (which she's not super into eating on her own yet.)
They're also gonna be able to gather alot more samples of her droppings so that they'll be able to run a more accurate diagnosis for AGY. In the meantime though, the vet said something about meloxicam helping relieve and even treat some of the symptoms of AGY until we get a diagnosis and also giving her some different anti-bacterial meds. I'm still going to ask about Ampho B when we call next and if it would be good to start that treatment.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 57 Posts