Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my budgie is in a moult period and for the last three days, her poop has been a bit weird. it's normal, sometimes wet (butt is clean tho) and a few times her poop was struck on the vent (released soon after).

apart from the moulting irritation her behavior is fine, she's pretty active sometimes while relaxes and rests other times.

i took her to a vet because i didn't want to take any chances and he gave a 4ml dose of a medicine- 0.5ml per 500ml water (10-25 days). and also a syrup metrogyl.

she doesn't drink a lot of water and is on an all seed diet (we do give her leafy veggies, apples, pears or some other fruits/veggies everyday.

i have a hard time believing people (even doctors lol) and have to take second thrid fourth opinions.

I'd be glad if you could give your inputs!

pic: active birb 2 days ago, next being a loaf birb. poop is more or less similar to the one posted by a guy in polyuria post.
Gas Table Flooring Magenta Plastic

Bird Parrot Beak Feather Bird supply

·
Super Moderator
6,011 Posts
Molting is a stressful time for a bird and you my see a change in activity and health during that time. Depending on the strength of the immune system it can be a time when a health issue will surface. Did the vet do any tests such as a gram stain on the droppings, without testing things you cannot be certain what, if any issues, there may be in the GI tract and the proper thing for treatment. Molting FAQS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Molting is a stressful time for a bird and you my see a change in activity and health during that time. Depending on the strength of the immune system it can be a time when a health issue will surface. Did the vet do any tests such as a gram stain on the droppings, without testing things you cannot be certain what, if any issues, there may be in the GI tract and the proper thing for treatment. Molting FAQS
Yes, birb has been pretty temperamental certain times since the past month or so when it started molting. however, there haven't been any visible physical issues as far as i can remember (certain effects of watery foods tho).

the vet was a regular one because there's no avian vet in my city, tho all of them say "treat"/"check up" budgies. and he didn't do any test. it was a rather weird visit- over within a couple of minutes.

when i asked what might be wrong with her, he said something like "para typhoid", if i heard right. she's been super active overall since the water mixed medicine dose tho

·
Super Moderator
20,173 Posts
Hello and a late welcome to the forums,

You did well in taking her to a vet right away. However, it doesn't seem that this vet had the correct experience with budgies. Did the vet give you any medicine to give your budgie? How is she doing now?

Meanwhile, please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies” to ensure you’re up to date on the best of budgie care practices! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us updated on your little one's condition!

Best wishes! 👋

·
Administrator
60,625 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Budgies generally have a first light molt at around 3 - 4 months old and another at 6 -7 months old.
When a budgie reaches at 1 year old their molts adjust to the Seasons., After the adjustment the budgie will have its big molts in the Spring and Fall. Budgies may also have lighter molts throughout the year; triggered by stress, change in diet or change in environment.

You can supplement your budgie’s diet with egg food during a molt.
This helps your budgies replenish the energy lost during the time they lose and grow in the new feathers.
Additionally, egg food promotes good and healthy feather growth.
It is possible to buy ready-made egg food at any specialized pet store but just as easy to make your own by hard boiling an egg and mashing it up.
If you wish you can mix it with a bit of cooked quinoa and flax seed.
You can also finely chop some veggies and add it to the egg food mix.
If your give your budgie cooked quinoa, be sure you rinse it well several times before cooking.

Budgies get itchy during their molt, so they'll preen and scratch more often. Additionally, they may be sleepier and quieter as molting takes a lot of energy, and their poop could be a little runnier. To make them more comfortable, you can offer them baths either in a shallow dish of water (or Lix-It bath) or by hanging wet greens (romaine lettuce or kale works best) in their cage so they can nibble on it and rub against them.

Molting FAQs
Miserable Molting

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello and a late welcome to the forums,

You did well in taking her to a vet right away. However, it doesn't seem that this vet had the correct experience with budgies. Did the vet give you any medicine to give your budgie? How is she doing now?

Meanwhile, please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies” to ensure you’re up to date on the best of budgie care practices! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us updated on your little one's condition!

Best wishes! 👋

Hello! Super apologies for the late reply. My budgie got well after the initial week and is pretty active still. She was indeed having a moult as there are nil pins on her head.

I agree the vet didn't have much budgie experience. I mean, he just didn't sit well with me and I tried following my instinct.

Thanks for your support tho! I've learned a lot from the blogs in the forum and they've been helpful.

I think my birb and I got close too since the previously bitey bird now lets me give her scritches 😭🥰. it's sucha great feeling really and I literally cried when she gives me her cheeks to rub.

I might need some assistance with a rescue birb soon so I'll drop in here! Thanks guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts