Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Budgies Gender?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  babybudgiess 
#1 ·
Hi. These are my budgies, Bonnie and Clyde. I got them last December 12th and seem to have a lot of trouble determining their gender, though some have told me it may be because they are still young. I based their names on their personalities, Bonnie (green one) is a lot more reserved than Clyde who loves interacting with people. Clyde also came to trust me more easily and learned stepping up faster. Bonnie does trust me, but only to a certain extent. If anyone gets an idea of their gender based on the photos, please don't hesitate to respond. Thank you!!
Bird Vertebrate Beak Bird supply Pet supply
Bird Eye Vertebrate Beak Parrot
Bird Eye Parrot Pet supply Beak

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

When you have mixed genders, it is very important to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
Budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Please remove and replace the cuttlebone which looks to be moldy.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

Nice to have you with us. If you have questions after reading everything, please let us know.

#4 ·
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

When you have mixed genders, it is very important to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
Budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Please remove and replace the cuttlebone which looks to be moldy.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

Nice to have you with us. If you have questions after reading everything, please let us know.
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome!! so happy to be part of this community. I'll be sure to look at the information on how to look after my budgies better. Also, I appreciate the concern but what you thought to be a cuttlebone is actually the back of their perch. I've been trying to get my hands on a cuttlebone, but my local pet stores don't seem to have them :(

#3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forums!

It's great to have you with us. Your budgies are very cute. They are indeed quite young, especially Bonnie. I believe Bonnie could end up being male while Clyde could be female, but in the photos it is a bit difficult to tell due to angle and lighting. Could you post more photos taken in natural light?

Additionally, I notice you have a nest box in the cage. Please remove it right away. Budgies should never be given any type of hut or nest. The only time a nest box is in a cage is if an experienced breeder is actively trying to breed them, and since this is not the case it should be removed immediately 👍

You've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices. Please be sure to read through all the links above to ensure you're up to date on everything. If you have any questions afterwards, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

We hope to see you around!

👋

#5 ·
Hello and welcome to the forums!

It's great to have you with us. Your budgies are very cute. They are indeed quite young, especially Bonnie. I believe Bonnie could end up being male while Clyde could be female, but in the photos it is a bit difficult to tell due to angle and lighting. Could you post more photos taken in natural light?

Additionally, I notice you have a nest box in the cage. Please remove it right away. Budgies should never be given any type of hut or nest. The only time a nest box is in a cage is if an experienced breeder is actively trying to breed them, and since this is not the case it should be removed immediately 👍

You've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices. Please be sure to read through all the links above to ensure you're up to date on everything. If you have any questions afterwards, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

We hope to see you around!

👋
Thank you for the information! Here are photos of them from a week ago, hope these could help. I have removed the nest box as soon as I saw your response, thank you; my uncle is actually a breeder of african lovebirds and he gave me this cage for bonnie and clyde, figured that's why it had a nest box included.

Hope to get along with everyone!

Bird Beak Parrot Feather Natural material
Bird Beak Parrot Organism Feather
Bird Beak Feather Wing Seabird

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.