Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had almost 6 pair of budgies, 2 weeks ago one of my budgie was found dead in the morning which was shocking, she had laid infertile eggs a month ago and didn't look right. We thought it must be the egg laying process that made her restless. After this death found another budgie puffed up with eyes half closed and drowsy, I immediately took him to a vet where he told me that they didn’t have expertise in treating budgies and other small birds, but gave me a medicine (SEPTRAN SYRUP) as a last resort.

I brought him home, administered the firs dosage of medicine and wrapped him in a blanket; he rallied here and there by squawking, but he died and now I'm also scared for other budgies which were in the same cage and adjacent to it. Although I removed the old nesting box and other food/water bowls, I am concerned about the antibiotics/medicine which needs to be given to other budgies to prevent and stop this issue. Since the vets in India (around us) are unaware of the treatment for budgies and small birds, am very sad and scared about losing another.

I don't what caused the death of budgies in 3 weeks,some of my friends suggested using tetracycline capsules, they wanted me to remove the powder and add to water consumed by remaining budgies for 2 days. Since not sure of the ratio of dosage and unaware of medication, have no courage to give them after an incident of medication with my budgie which died.
I would really be thankful and appreciate if anyone could help with the Antibiotics and some important suggestion to prevent it from happening to other budgies.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi Rahul
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I have no knowledge or xperience with this sort of medication so won't be able to help you but wish you and your birds all the best.

Isn't there an online avian vet you could try and contact about this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Unfortunately no" and the vets around us are unaware of treatment for budgies and small birds.

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
Hello I am sorry to hear of your sick budgies. AS you live in a country with little avian expertise I suggest you get an emergency first aid kit organised. you can buy many medications and treatments on line through Ebay or Amazon. Without knowing what the cause is we can not really offer any advice.
Are any more of your birds showing any signs of distress? What are your birds droppings like, watery a different colour or consistency? Are they eating more, or drinking more?
Try to get some Apple cider vinegar with mother in it, or some probiotics these help with gut problems.

There are some avian vets that do consult via the net or you can ring a zoo, or animal welfare . Google Avian vets , please let us know how things are going soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.