Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I'm looking at the option of having surgery for my 10 year old budgie due to bumblefoot, though I want to avoid it if at all possible.
My previous thread documenting the problem and treatments was posted here:
http://talkbudgies.com/follow-up-ce...ome-remedy-bumblefoot-pain-3.html#post3138833

The vet said the pododermatitis bumblefoot is a 2 out of a 4 in severity - moderate. He's otherwise healthy and is eating and drinking on his own now and currently he's not holding up his foot or picking at it all the time like he used to, but it's still swollen and not getting better otherwise. And he's not sleeping much during the nights because he's uncomfortable I assume. I understand it can take a long time to fully heal (so far it's been a month in total and 2 weeks since seeing the Avian vet in person), but I just don't know what to expect in this timeframe if it should be more healed by now. There hasn't ever been a dark scab or anything that usually indicates bumbleffot. His foot is smooth and pink most days, except it's hardened where the swelling is which is concentrated on his back toe.

The vet said he wanted to try to heal this conservatively if at all possible and I definitely do too, but I don't see much other options. After speaking with the out-of-state Avian vet, I had to take my bird off his medications: meloxicam and sulfa-trim antbiotics due to adverse reactions and the vet didn't give me any other solutions or ideas in its place at this time. Everything I and the vets have done has not cured his foot. To complicate matters, the infected foot is the one that has nerve damage so it's a bit crippled and can't lay flat. So if they did surgery, I fear it might cause further nerve damage and also he can't lay his foot flat so I don't know how a bandage would stay in place.

But what I'm asking is if anyone has had experience with the surgery to remove the infection and if so, what was the outcome? Did the infection return anyway? Was there complications or further damage to the feet because of it? How is the surgery and anesthesia generally done? If anesthesia, is it difficult to find a vein in the wing and is there great risk of blood loss? Just in your opinion - what would you do in my situation with an otherwise healthy 10 year old budgie and his foot isn't getting better after a month? Would you give it a bit more time or risk it with a surgery to clean out the tissue or would you try something else? Please, any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

( I've read elsewhere about the only real non-surgical option some people have tried on chickens and other birds is Tricide-Neo, but I have no clue if that might work. Has anyone heard of that treatment?
Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure )

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.