Talk Budgies Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, it's a collection of ladders and straight and wiggly perches. I also bought a few chewing/noise-making toys.

Bushy's starting to figure out her cuttlebone (She got the hang of the mineral block a while ago). There were small craters on the cuttlebone's surface 馃槅

She seems to like biting the millet stick section. Is this normal?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hello, I do hope everyone's having a good time.

I left my hand on the table and Bushy crawled over it. I gave her some millet. I'm glad she seems alright with hands.
Question: are these pin feathers? (No worries, I'm cleaning and fixing the cage items at the moment.)
Bird Parrot Pet supply Beak Bird supply

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ahh, great to hear. I was almost worried something was wrong and the molt wouldn't come, she's almost 17 weeks old. We haven't quite given a successful bath yet. Perhaps I'll try sometime this week. As for calcium, she has a cuttlebone but I'll look into eggs anyway.
Just curious, can bok choy be fed daily/every other day?

I came home and Bushy was like this (The cage seems dirty but I cleaned it afterwards, no worries):
Bird Vertebrate Beak Pet supply Feather

I can spot pins on the cheeks and the wings, I really do need more pictures before she grows up 馃挌

Administrator
Did Bushy open the cage door herself?! :eek:

You may have to use a cable tie to "lock" it when you are away.
If you insert the end into the little loop "backwards" you can actually reuse cable ties more than once.

Some budgies enjoy bathing and others don't.
There are various things you can try. You may also find she ignores the bath for a long time and then suddenly will decide to try it and then like it!

I'd suggest you either put a shallow bowl with water in or on top the cage or get a Lix-it Bath to attach to the cage and provide her the option of bathing every few days.

You can also try placing a few fresh basil leaves or some lettuce leaves in the water. That may interest her in the bath.

Some budgies love to rub against or roll on wet leaves.
You can hang wet romaine lettuce or kale leaves in her cage or place them in a shallow dish in or on the cage to see if Bushy likes them.

Some budgies enjoy being very lightly misted with room temperature water.
Do NOT squirt the water directly on Bushy.
Aim it up into the air and let the water mist settle down over her gently.
You should be able to easily tell if she likes it or doesn't want any part of it.
Some budgies do enjoy playing under a light trickle of water in the sink.
Other budgies simply don't enjoy bathing which is fine as all budgies are cleaning and oiling their feathers when they preen.

If Bushy is shaking her head, tail and feet after she鈥檚 been in the water, that鈥檚 quite normal. It鈥檚 like a dog shaking after it gets wet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks!
Ah, she didn't open the door by herself. I should have been clearer on that 馃槄 I don't think she could open this cage's type of door. I opened it for her to let her outside for the next ~2 hours/to take a picture/get a close-up look at her tail.
I'll get a spray bottle the next time I shop somewhere and I'll try some wet vegetable leaves.
Bushy figured out the large loop toy. She enjoys perching on the top and looking outside through the screens. Should I discourage this behavior?
Someone in our household made a dent on the cage. It's also slightly small anyways, so I'm looking to buy a new one. I do hope to keep some veterinary care money as I've read all sorts of things about broken blood feathers or molts going wrong.. I think my budgie will be around $100 CAD. We're also moving sometime in October (I believe) and I'm looking into that.
I put my hand on the table and Bushy crawled onto it again. This time, however, she began biting me. It wasn't a hard bite, but I'm still confused. Is she exploring my hand? Asserting dominance? Should I discourage it as well?
Thanks again.

Administrator
If she likes looking out of the window I don't see any issues with that.
My birds look out their windows frequently.
Bushy may have just been exploring your hand since the bites were not hard.
Using the beak and tongue to "test" new objects is normal. Unless she starts biting you hard, it isn't a problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Great, thanks.
I just checked and we're actually moving next Sunday. I'll have to redo the Amazon shipments, find a new vet, check out and re-plan Bushy's setup and overall quite some work. I've located a few avian vets, I'll just need to read information and stuff. There's some Pet Valu store in the region, too.
My plan (yet to discuss with entire household) is to move Bushy either first or last. If we move her first, she'll be able to skip all the trucks and furniture being moved (lots of noise and dust). If we move her last, she'll be put in a finished house (and not an empty garage). Another possibility is to move her upstairs once the second floor has its furniture ready and then she could settle down a bit as we move the downstairs furniture, I suppose.
We don't have a travel carrier but I could attempt to find one. Is it alright to just use her cage and strap it in? I'll remove the bells, take out the water bowl (leaving the water bottle in the cage because I presume it'll be less of a mess) and perhaps add some stick of millet on the 45-minute car ride.
I think our new house will be decent. I've already seen a Northern Cardinal, American Robin and a few Blue Jays in the backyard. There are often sparrows and seagulls around, too. Bushy stopped chirping to outside birds a while ago, but she still seems to enjoy watching them. I just don't think we're ready to find her a friend, double monthly savings and observe quarantine in these chaotic times.
Today I rearranged Bushy's toys but she hopped over and began biting me. Maybe I shouldn't invade her territory 馃槄 She itches a bit more than usual and even put her feet in her water bowl, but she didn't stay like that for long. Bushy seems to understand that when she hops on my hand, she receives millet. She got onto my sleeve following the millet today. I also received a blackish and white gift on my clothes 馃槉

Really, I think Bushy's an easygoing budgie. She'll try to eat almost anything I give her. She's rarely scared of new things - she'll observe from a distance and then head over to give it a strong bite. 馃挌

21 - 31 of 31 Posts