Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 29 July I paired a Skyblue Clearflight Pied/Ino (****) with an Albino hen. It is possible that she has 1 dark factor and she can be masking Violet. (This is her first time)
She laid 6 eggs: For the first time I saw how a soft shell egg looks like (she laid 2 of them); 1 egg (the first one) was infertile and the other 3 were fertile.
I expect some ino's , skyblues, cobalts, Violets and some clearflight pieds.
One of the babies is an albino - just as expected, but the other two are looking like this:
201020111376.jpg

09012012121.jpg

201020111378.jpg
One is a skyblue and the other one looks like a cobalt, but I am sure that I also see some violet on that one, but the colours are very, very light - looks diluted. Are the Greywings? Please help me.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Skyblue Clearflight Pied/Ino male x Albino female maybe one dark factor and violet

You should get...
blues
single factor violets
albinos
clearflight pieds
normals
and now we know greywings

The chicks look like greywings. There are two types of greywing normal greywing, this dilutes the birds body color. The second type is full body color greywing, this keeps the body color bright. This means your female is either masking or split for greywing and your male is split for greywing.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this moment I'm trying to determine where the greywing factor is coming from. Something that bothers me is that this **** hasn't produced 1 CFP so far - after 4 clutches. To start with I didn't know where this CFP comes from. I have bred 3 CFP's in the past, but I don't have anything that looks like a CFP. Now that I have one and trying to breed one - and shouldn't be that difficult , because CFP is dominant.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well the greywing is coming from both parents. Both parents either have to show or be split for greywing. It is recessive. Could we see a photo of your male? Maybe he isn't a clear flight pied.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The skyblue clearflight pied's mother was a YF Albino/ RP Greywing and this is her father - where it al started.

GF%20violet%20FB%20greywing.jpg He was a Golden face Full Body Greywing.
This **** is also the great Grandfather of the albino.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question: We know that the albino hen can be masking greywing or be split for it. Is there a way of knowing which one it is?

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I agree, both chicks are greywings :)

Are you sure that the dad is a clearflight and not strangely marked recessive pied Dries? I am just asking since you have had so few clearflight chicks and you don't know where the gene came from, although it is not impossible that in the genetic gamble you simply have not got one yet if he is indeed a clearflight. I have had 4 clutches before without a dominant gene showing before too, so it is very possible that is all it is. It could be that the gene is getting passed to chicks that are masking it like your ino chick too :)

The best way to tell if a bird is split for or masking is to pair it to a bird that is visually the mutation. If you breed your ino hen to a greywing and get any normal chicks, you will know she is just split for it rather than masking it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.