Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just joined tonight and I'm looking for advice on cage size. I read the sticky on this but it doesn't really fit my measurements. My cage is 32"W 18"D 18"H. How many budgies could this comfortably fit? Also, can 3 budgies live happily together and what's the best mix?

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
Hi :wave: welcome to the Fourm, I would not put more than 2 budgies in the cage size you have listed, if you have 3 in it they may feel a bit crowded. It is usually best to keep an even number of birds if you are going to house them together, sometimes with an odd number 2 will become buddies leaving the third one on the side. If you have all of the same gender you will not have to worry about unwanted breeding and possessiveness of a female by a male. I have several flight cages and there are 2 birds in each, in one is a male and female that have been together since they were very young, they are now 7 years old, there is no breeding going on but he is extremely possessive of her, when all the birds are out of their cages he will not allow another male to be next to her, as soon as he sees that happening he swoops in and chases the other male away, luckily he is not combative or fights could happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Cody :) Is it better to have 2 females together then, rather than a male and a female?

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
If you have two of the same gender you will not have to worry about unwanted breeding. Two birds of the same gender can bond just as well as if you had a male and female. Please know that females can still lay eggs without a male around but they of course will not be fertile. You should not have anything in the cage that might be seen as a nesting site that could be a hormonal trigger such as these little tents that are sold as a place for the bird to sleep, or coconut huts etc.

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums!

Cody has given great advice and I agree with her totally. I also would recommend only two budgies of the same gender for the reasons stated above.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Meanwhile, be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies" to ensure you're up to date on the best of budgie care practices. If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd be happy to help.

Cheers and hope to see you around! ;) :D

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
You've been given excellent advice and I agree totally. Stick with the same gender and don't go more than 2 budgies in the cage you have currently. Additionally, you'll need to get a second cage to have on hand in case you need it as a travel/quarantine or hospitalization cage.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

Site Guidelines
Posting on the Forums
Please do not use Emojis from Phones - use Forum Smilies Only
Let's Talk Budgies
How-To Guides
FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Budgie Articles
List of Stickies
Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
Avian First Aid
Why Quarantine?

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Guidance regarding Breeding Advice Threads

Recommended Minimum Cage Sizes
Essentials for a Great Cage
Resource Directory

When you upload pictures as attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape. Additionally, the picture appears as what we term a "thumbnail" attachment.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as Imgur and follow the steps in these instructions:
How to Post Full Size Pictures from a Photo Sharing Site
You can practice uploading pictures in the site's "Test Forum:
Test Forum

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.