Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Ann I’ve had Billy for 5 weeks now He was 12 weeks when I got him.he seems to have settled well He has started to say his name so I’m happy with that my problem is I don’t think the cage he came with is really big enough. What I would like to know is what is the best size cage for him.please This is him in his cage thank you
Bird Vertebrate Beak Pet supply Parrot

·
Super Moderator
18,902 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

He is absolutely adorable. You've been given great advice by Cody above, he definitely needs a much bigger cage. Additionally, you should remove the treat bell since those are really high in sugar and should be offered sparingly.

Also, the mirror should also be removed; budgies are not able to recognize their own reflections and they believe it is another bird. This can cause problems such as aggression and constant regurgitation to the other bird as well as frustration which is, over time, damaging to a bird's mental and physical well being. Therefore it's best to be safe rather than sorry and remove it :D

Finally, be sure to remove the sandpaper from the bottom of the cage and instead use kitchen paper, white paper, or other plain, ink-free paper for the bottom. Sand paper is very dangerous to budgies if he decides to go down there and walk around as the sand will wear away at his feet, causing sores, and if he ingests any, it can lead to crop impaction. Check out this link for more information:

Dangers of Rope Perches and Tasseled Toys

Essentials to a Great Cage

There are lots more stickies around here on the forums so be sure to have a look around! If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

Hope to see you around!
Cheers 👋

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
Billy is a very cute little guy!

Cody and StarlingWings have given you excellent advice.

The very minimum size cage Billy should have would be 76cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 46 cm High. Ensure the bar spacing is no more than 1.27 cm.
BIGGER would be better. Length is more important than Height as budgies fly laterally.

I recommend you remove the wooden dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.

Pressure Sores
Bumblefoot
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies seems I am doing a lot wrong but I’m willing to learn I think I may be on here a lot asking for your kind help. Right first things first lol I have ordered a cage which should arrive Monday this is it I got it from amazon
Furniture Rectangle Tire Gas Parallel

Product Nature Bird Line Plant

what doyou think thank you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for your replies seems I am doing a lot wrong but I’m willing to learn I think I may be on here a lot asking for your kind help. Right first things first lol I have ordered a cage which should arrive Monday this is it I got it from amazon
View attachment 260960
View attachment 260961
That cage looks awesome!! Your bird is lucky!! Not only lucky though but handsome too!!! What a cute birdy!! I am looking for a similar cage like this but i am doing some research about the paint used to cover the metal. What happens if a birdy bites the cage and some paint goes off?

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
View attachment 260960
View attachment 260961
This cage will be fine for Billy.

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
That is a great choice of cages for Billy!
Please be sure to post a picture of him in his new home once you have it and it’s all set up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi well cage has arrived 2days early.it’s all assembled ready to be furnished. Please is it possible for some of you kind people to put pictures on here of your cages so I can get a little idea of what is best for Billy’s enjoyment and health thanking you in advance

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
Look at this thread for what perches, toys, etc are best to use in Billy's cage.

Essentials to a Great Cage

You want to ensure you have a cuttlebone and mineral block.
A good swing
Stainless Steel Bell
Shredding Toy(s)
Natural Wood perches of varying diameters (not wooden or plastic dowels)

NO sandpaper
NO grit
NO mirror

1 - 11 of 11 Posts