Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would ask what you guys thought Camilla's mutation was. I've looked up mutations online, but she's confusing. I know she has cinnamon in her from her wings. Then she has the sky blue patches around her body. The thing that confuses me is her head. The only way I can think to explain it is like a yellow face parakeet would look like, but hers has a very faint tint of pink/purple to it. It has been like this since I've had her. I thought it was just something on her face. She has had several baths and it is still there. Just wondering if anyone knew what this could be. You can't see it in the pictures, but I circled it in red on the first picture where her face is that color. Her eyes are very very very dark. I keep thinking it's because she is young since she has all the bars on her head, which is probably the case. I don't know anything about her either. She came from Petco and I can't find anything from her band on the internet. Thanks for all the help.

·
Member of the Month
2,772 Posts
Wow I have no idea what her mutation is (someone will pipe in) but I had to comment on how beautiful she is!
I agree! Her coloring is amazing! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I saw her at the store and couldn't leave without her. She is soo tame and nice.

Sky Blue dominant pied Hen
Thanks for your help. So do you think she has cinnamon in her too from her wings or just the sky blue dominant pied?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Sky blue dominant pied. I don't think she is cinnamon because her cheek patches are the wrong colour. I think her markings will darken after she moults. The slight tint you describe could be a stain that won't wash out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gorgoeus Bird

Hi Chris,

Your parakeets has very dark eyes which definitely means he/she is between 2-4 months old. You're right, the lines on the head also indicate the age. The more lines, the younger the bird, usually. At such a young age it is difficult to tell whether a parakeet is male or female, however, it looks like yours has some blue coming through in the cere which leads me to believe your 'she' is actually a 'he'. Time will tell though...if the cere continues to look more blue as the bird matures, there's a better than good chance that you've got yourself a male. If it turns tan or brown in color, probably a female. In some mutations though, the cere MAY not be a reliable indicator of gender :( or so I am told.

I have 5 parakeets and 3 cockatiels...I love them all! Two of my tiels talk--A LOT--they are males...the female does not talk. None of my keets talk, but they sure do love to sing and squawk at one another! I will post pics in the days to come...

Good luck with your baby! ~~~~>EDIT! **I stand corrected** The baby budgie's cere in males is very light pinkish-purplish, and actually shows more whitish blue in females! Looks like I may have more males than I thought!

·
Registered
591 Posts
i would say df dominant pied as she has very little colouring, looks sky blue, and i agree i dont think she is cinnamon. with dominant pieds, i think the cere is sometimes harder to sex than other mutations plus she is still quite young, and it looks to have a purplish tint so from this pic i would be peruaded to guess shes a he. however very nice looking bird you got here congrats

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. After reading everyones answers and looking online I'm positive Camilla is a dominant pied skyblue, no cinnamon.

The only reason I thought Camilla is a girl at this point is the way she acts. She used to hang around my male Sky all the time and he would feed her, although I'm sure that doesn't necessarily mean it's a girl. Also she gets in little fights with my other female Bluebell. She chews on just about everything in the cage and one time I did actually see Sky mount her and try to mate, but I ran to the cage and took her out for awhile after that... and this was after Sky had already mated with Bluebell and she had started laying eggs. I know males will mount other males, but she actually flattened her back like she was ready to mate which was weird because she always ran away when he tried until that time. So they aren't together anymore. The cere has a little tint of blue, but has a big ring of white around the nostrils which is how my female Bluebell is too, but I guess since she's a pied that may not mean she's a she. I guess I'll find out when s/he molts. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help. After reading everyones answers and looking online I'm positive Camilla is a dominant pied skyblue, no cinnamon.

The only reason I thought Camilla is a girl at this point is the way she acts. She used to hang around my male Sky all the time and he would feed her, although I'm sure that doesn't necessarily mean it's a girl. Also she gets in little fights with my other female Bluebell. She chews on just about everything in the cage and one time I did actually see Sky mount her and try to mate, but I ran to the cage and took her out for awhile after that... and this was after Sky had already mated with Bluebell and she had started laying eggs. I know males will mount other males, but she actually flattened her back like she was ready to mate which was weird because she always ran away when he tried until that time. So they aren't together anymore. The cere has a little tint of blue, but has a big ring of white around the nostrils which is how my female Bluebell is too, but I guess since she's a pied that may not mean she's a she. I guess I'll find out when s/he molts. Thanks again for all the help.
I do believe it's a girl. Young males have pink ceres and hens have light blue with white circles around the nostrils :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.