Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our budgie for nine months now. He is thriving. He is a shy gentle budgie who has let us know some of his amazing spirit while have been caring for him. We have so far cancelled two trips because we could not leave him behind. We have planned the upcoming camping outing and really do not want to cancel. Or leave our budgie behind, as we are not able to find a perfect match for him to be cared for in our absence.
So I want to explore the option of taking him with. Which is likely the only option where I could just have him there and not have to worry about how he is coping left behind.
I am wondering if being in circumstances that are less than ideal ( smaller container etc) but with people he trusts trumps circumstances that are ok but still not ideal ( not his home) with people he does not know.
Please know I looked far and wide. There is nothing that works great. Friends that would have him in their coach house could not spend much time with him, and not sure about temperature regulation there, meaning temps could possibly go hig, so not really an option.
Any advice?

I wanted this post in general budgie talk, not behavior. I can’t find a way to move it.

·
Administrator
59,441 Posts
Taking him with you is feasible depending on the circumstances so I'd like to get additional details from you.

How long are your going to be away?
Will you be able to have the budgie's cage in the tent with you at night? (assuming you are tent camping...?)
Will you keep the cage under close supervision the entire time it is outdoors?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trip would be five days long. We are willing to shorten it a day or even two if things were not working out.
We have a smaller cage and another carrier and I think the carrier would be better because it has mesh sides, and some solid sides too. The mesh would limit any insects coming into the carrier. The cage has no way to prevent insects coming in. B does not like any insects, he gets ” quacky“ if there is a fly near him.
I attached some natural wood perches to the carrier and he uses those and the bottom, which I just put paper towel on.
I am actually looking to get another bigger carrier and have the two carriers, just in case.

We took B out for a walk in the carrier and at first he was panting, likely thinking it was going to be another vet visit ( had a nail trimming demo visit recently) but he calmed down and I think he enjoyed the walk. He was obviously quiet but positioned himself close to the front of carrier, which is mesh, to see out. He was very happy to get back to his cage at home, which he just loves.

I will be taking him to the beach in the carrier to see how he handles being close to water. The camping place is by a lake.

My main worry is whether he will be okay for that many days in a carrier. The one I have right now is not big (11 W x 11 D x 14 H, inches) We will be with him always, he would never be left alone. But I would not feel safe letting him fly even in a tent outdoors. He flies in tent at home, but if anything happened and he got out he would still be in a room, not outdoors.
And I try to decide whether being in those circumstances but having us there with him to reassure him is better for him than leaving him in his cage but in a new place where he will most likely be alone all day long, except for people changing his food in the morning.

The shelter we have considered before is a one room, at full capacity place, that is sheltering, boarding, adopting out, all birds in one space. I think he would be stressed in there. And I worry about someone adopting him out by accident, and also about lack of any quarantine. I understand those are the circumstances there, but it does not seem the right match for our needs.

·
Administrator
59,441 Posts
I would be very reluctant to keep my budgie is such a small carrier for 5 days.
What are the temperatures predictions for the day and night temps at the camping site?

How large is the "small" cage you have? Is it substantially bigger than the carrier?
The cage always be wrapped in a mesh material to prevent insects from getting into it.

I would definitely not board my bird(s) in a place such as what you described.
I'm assuming you have not located any friends or neighbors that would be willing to pet-sit for him for the time you are away?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to get a cage that is bigger than carrier and a mesh fabric to make the protective cover. Our small cage is 9 x 11 x 14, but it really is only used as a transporter. Going to the store today to check on this.

We have friends who said they could help but it would be at their place. Since they have cats, only a coach house situation would be available. And he would be basically alone all day. Things got complicated with recent family illness, so at this time I am not even sure this would work out.
I have to have plan B in place. My family was directly affected by the recent act of mass violence yesterday and getting away for a few days seems like something we need very much. Just adding that we are all okay, we were just very close to it.

·
Administrator
59,441 Posts
I'm glad you are all OK!

Getting a bit bigger cage and a mesh cover for it sounds like it would be your best option under the circumstances.
Please let me know how things progress.
Is your outing scheduled soon?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Some family members tested Covid positive and again, we had to postpone the trip. That means one safe and chirpy budgie staying home.

We are going to try again in two weeks and in the meantime I will be taking budgie out for outings just to get him used to going out in case we will need to take him with. I am hoping our friends will be able to care for him then, hopefully maybe.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello. It's been a while since I posted on this forum.
If you are you planning to tent camp, I have some thoughts on that. I spent a little over a month living in a tent, which was an amazing adventure. I didn't have a bird with me but I might be able to offer some ideas from that experience. The biggest thing is I'd remove all food bowls at night. If your in the woods it might attract bears. I had a bear around my tent, so made sure there was no food in the tent. I'd also make sure to have some music playing loudly enough that chirps and fluttering noises are drowned out. Another thing I did, that I'll admit sounds gross, is I poured the urine that I collected during the night around the parameter of my tent so the bear knew a human was there. Since you will be near a lake, there are likely going to be eagles and hawks looking for a fish dinner. I'd try to keep the cage under a tent fly so it isn't easily spotted by raptors from the air. I've seen photos of hawks that tore a cage apart, so it's better to keep them from being noticed.

During the night a cold, damp condensation will build up. If you are at a sight that has electricity, a small space heater will dry things out.

I'd also be careful with insect repellents. Some are definitely toxic. I'd do research to find a safe repellent, but in any case, be sure to clean any residue from your skin and hair as well as keeping a change of clothes that have none on them.

Also if you have a campfire, be aware of the wind direction. I made that mistake and filled the tent with smoke.

As I mentioned, I didn't have a bird with me but I hope some of the things from my experience can be applied for your adventure! I love camping and have considered going with LoVey. Looking forward to hearing how it went for you!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello. It's been a while since I posted on this forum.
If you are you planning to tent camp, I have some thoughts on that. I spent a little over a month living in a tent, which was an amazing adventure. I didn't have a bird with me but I might be able to offer some ideas from that experience. The biggest thing is I'd remove all food bowls at night. If your in the woods it might attract bears. I had a bear around my tent, so made sure there was no food in the tent. I'd also make sure to have some music playing loudly enough that chirps and fluttering noises are drowned out. Another thing I did, that I'll admit sounds gross, is I poured the urine that I collected during the night around the parameter of my tent so the bear knew a human was there. Since you will be near a lake, there are likely going to be eagles and hawks looking for a fish dinner. I'd try to keep the cage under a tent fly so it isn't easily spotted by raptors from the air. I've seen photos of hawks that tore a cage apart, so it's better to keep them from being noticed.

During the night a cold, damp condensation will build up. If you are at a sight that has electricity, a small space heater will dry things out.

I'd also be careful with insect repellents. Some are definitely toxic. I'd do research to find a safe repellent, but in any case, be sure to clean any residue from your skin and hair as well as keeping a change of clothes that have none on them.

Also if you have a campfire, be aware of the wind direction. I made that mistake and filled the tent with smoke.

As I mentioned, I didn't have a bird with me but I hope some of the things from my experience can be applied for your adventure! I love camping and have considered going with LoVey. Looking forward to hearing how it went for you!
Thank you so much for all your tips, very helpfu!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The camping where we will be is away from crowds but there are no bears. There are crows and hawks and eagles, and raccoons. Birdie would be inside the tent with us, I would not leave him outside for a moment unattended.
We decided we might have to forgo the campfire, since the smoke can be wind directed and so beyond our control.
I called our vet and talked to a tech and found that they mostly were okay with him being in a smaller cage, but recommended watching for mosquitoes ( West Niile) and other birds ( bird flu).

I also talked to a neighbor who has a bigger parrot and he thought, like I do, that for the bird to be with his humans will be comforting. He said he would consider wing clipping to ensure not being able to fly away, but after doing some more reading about it I think that would be too stressful.

I bought a different cage, one that is very sturdy and has better size. I will try to post pic. Now I want to make a mesh cover to protect from mosquitoes, and a fleecy cover for sleeping/ temp control.
From my experience sleeping in a tent is actually quite warm, we zip up and have tarp over us.

The plan would be to travel in carrier and set up the cage once at campsite. Hiking in carrier ( changes from carrier to cage only inside tent), rest of time in cage with mesh protector.

Product Rectangle Pet supply Line Gas

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Photograph Automotive lighting Hood Product Motor vehicle

this is not the best photo, but that is the carrier we have, it has a nice combination of mesh front, and some mesh on top, but nice covered sides and back. I equipped it with the branch perch ( slightly too big now, will change to smaller diameter). Birdie seems to be mostly relaxed in it after the initial panting period of what I think is “are we going to the vet?” reaction

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would like to ask advice on wing clipping considering the trip. I feel that even though the trip will be a different trip with him, I am willing to forgo some of the usual carelessness to watch over him. It seems a better option to me than having him home for a few days and only have someone come over for 15 minutes to give him food. I know he would be so lonely left at home. A day maybe, but not a few days. And I would have no good time at all worrying about him. If we had two budgies I see how I could feel better about leaving but having the birdies together at least. Having one bird definitely is detrimental to any vacation plans without birdie.
I would like to know what others think about the option of wing clipping, as additional safety measure, please. And thank you!

·
Administrator
59,441 Posts
I would definitely NOT recommend that you clip his wings. There are far many negatives to doing so.
As long as you have clips securing the carrier do the door cannot open and are very careful when you transfer him from the carrier to the cage and vice versa inside the zipped tent then there is no benefit to clipping his wings.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I forgot to add that most tents have an opening near the floor to run an electric cord through. I'd try putting a large, heavy rock on the outside to keep smaller critters out of the tent. Also, it being a new surrounding, your boy may be inclined to explore every corner. I don't think clipping is the best option either. Not being able to fly makes escaping danger less likely. Have you done any recall training? Even if he doesn't come to you by calling him vocally, there might be something he always goes to. For example, my LoVey always flys over when I rattle a potato chip bag lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My husband and I were backpackers before we had our kids. We loved
tent camping. Our tent does not have any openings for electric cords, which might be a good thing considering budgie. I am as stressed about the trip as when I had a ( bigger) baby and would likely just cancel for my own peace of mind. But I am willing to go and try for two nights seeing as family wants to go very much. I am just hoping budgies are fairly resilient and will not stress out too much. We had birdie in his travel cage ( nice and sturdy) for extended periods of time now and today he started his normal chirpy routine in there, which makes me think he was relaxed enough to do so. We have hummingbirds and goldfinches come to our outside feeders and he likes watching them. He has covers, so definitely is not out in the open. The hummingbird will even swing by to see B in his big cage by the other window ( B’s big cage location).
There will be no wing clipping, I could not ever do that. Our birdie is a very shy guy, he would never go and explore unknown habitats. I know his big cage is his kingdom that he loves. I worry that he will not feel well being away from his secure environment for a couple of days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts