Talk Budgies Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
My husband and I were backpackers before we had our kids. We loved
tent camping. Our tent does not have any openings for electric cords, which might be a good thing considering budgie. I am as stressed about the trip as when I had a ( bigger) baby and would likely just cancel for my own peace of mind. But I am willing to go and try for two nights seeing as family wants to go very much. I am just hoping budgies are fairly resilient and will not stress out too much. We had birdie in his travel cage ( nice and sturdy) for extended periods of time now and today he started his normal chirpy routine in there, which makes me think he was relaxed enough to do so. We have hummingbirds and goldfinches come to our outside feeders and he likes watching them. He has covers, so definitely is not out in the open. The hummingbird will even swing by to see B in his big cage by the other window ( B’s big cage location).
There will be no wing clipping, I could not ever do that. Our birdie is a very shy guy, he would never go and explore unknown habitats. I know his big cage is his kingdom that he loves. I worry that he will not feel well being away from his secure environment for a couple of days.
Just remember you're the biggest part of his environment 😊. And having camped and enjoyed it previously, you'll have the added pleasure of your sweet bird being with you!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I want to update this thread with good news. We did it and it was a success! Birdie turned out to be quite the adventurous and curious traveller. He was in his carrier for the car ride and the ferries and the walking adventures, and the beach! The wide diameter perch I had installed in the middle of carrier was okay but he kept climbing up to see better, so I installed a smaller diameter perch ( willow) near top of carrier which is clear windows all around ( the roof is airy mesh) and we had a happy budgie since then.
Having used a tent for his out of cage flights at home he was completely at home in a larger tent and liked it a lot. Ended up flying in small circles, which never happened in the home tent.
We had a cage in the tent, with mesh all around that did not quite work the best. B seemed not to like the black mesh. We moved him from cage to carrier in the tent to make sure he would not escape. He did not seem to be looking for an escape.
The setup worked well.
I think this budgie is very resilient. For the most part his curiosity won over the fear. He liked the forest walks, and even liked the beach, although he took a bit of time to get used to the sound of waves on the shore. We carried him and talked to him and he really did seem ok.
He was overall much quieter than his normal self. He made small chirps and then on out third day ( when he probably started thinking this might be his new home) relaxed enough to start chirping away to the sounds of the birdies outside.
We loved having him with us and enjoyed our time even more because of him.
I was most concerned that he did not seem to have enough nap time in the carrier and I worried how this might end up affecting his health. Even covering the carrier did not make for relaxing enough environment to just take a nap.
When we returned home and he went back into his cage he chirped very long and so nicely, and I think he said “thank goodness, I thought I was never coming back”.
Today he is back to his chirpy and loud self, and will not respond to step up at all. I totally get it!
The funniest point in our trip was when we stopped at a coffee place drive up to order tea and everyone in the car said what they would like to order, and then when we got quiet B chirped something that seemed like his own order. He is such a fun little guy and such an amazing part of family! I am very happy it all worked out so well.

·
Super Moderator
19,597 Posts
I am SO glad it went well!! Traveling with pets can be hard and even more so when they are easily spooked. I am glad to hear this didn’t seem to be the case with your little one. Obviously you did everything possible to keep him comfortable and safe and it sounds like it brought you guys closer together too. Great stories!

As a reminder to all members reading this, as the above member stated, the budgie was always secure in his cage or in an enclosed environment with no way to escape (I.e a zipped tent). Budgies should not be left outside of their cages in cars for any reason.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts