Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if a budgie, in its first molt, can change shades? Or even have different markings or markings in new places, but not in the old?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Hello. I'm not 100% sure about that, although it might be able to.
Our Budgie Mickey first started changing colour to a bit of green when he was 2 years old.
I am sorry for not being much of a help, but I'm sure their are lots of others who could answer your question!

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
Well, mutations like Yellow Face II will become much more apparent, moving through out with each molt. And as they grow older, the baby bars on their heads disappear (some mutations) and the "bib" spots come through. :)

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
Yep, they can. My budgie is all yellow with some green and cinnamon colour mixed in.
After one of her moults two years ago, blue feathers appeared on her tummy! She still has them, I call them her blue tatoos:D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yep. I had a golden face cobalt that would "bleed" yellow further down his body each year during each molt. He turned green. Thank goodness all my birds are banded. I did not believe it was the same bird until I looked up his band number in the breeding records. The bird was genetically "blue" but looked green. Yellow + bue = green. I always kept him prd up with a cobalt hen - 100% blue chicks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. I had a golden face cobalt that would "bleed" yellow further down his body each year during each molt. He turned green. Thank goodness all my birds are banded. I did not believe it was the same bird until I looked up his band number in the breeding records. The bird was genetically "blue" but looked green. Yellow + bue = green. I always kept him prd up with a cobalt hen - 100% blue chicks.
I guess that would be like a gray horse. They are genetically the color they are born, but gray over time. hmmm... interesting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.