Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help? Please?

Every time Dan moults, he turns into a different bird appearance-wise.
I bought a green pied spangle -- a yellow spangled bird with green running
shorts.

He moulted, and grew his green running shorts up to his chin, and
developed a green ring around his neck. His head is still yellow, as are his
wings. On that moult, his spangled feathers got rather...disorganized. No
more neat rows, just some with edges.

Now he's got yellow wings with almost no grey edging, a green belly mottled
with small dots of yellow, and a green neck. The only evidence of any spangle
left is on the edges of the lower two rows of wing feathers and is very, very
faint as opposed to quite striking when I got him. He also has this spot on both
wings just below the joint in the wing where there do not seem to be any feathers
other than the fuzzy, downy ones, so he looks like he has fluffy epaulets. I thought
at first he must have lost those feathers from the wing coverts when someone
grabbed him, but they've never grown in. He has no visible irises, if that is any
clue to this puzzle. I wish I could post pictures, but I have no camera.

He's about 14 months old now. Do you think he's going to settle on a "look" or
is he going to keep surprising me? Any ideas? Anyone? I'm so confused....

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have absolutely no idea, but your title made me laugh pretty hard :)

...I really hope your birdies save their allowances to get you a camera for your birthday :p

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have a pied spangle and after her first molt her lines are very faint on the wings, almost not there. I think the fact that your bird is a pied has something to do with the wing markings changing like that.

But don't take my word as I'm no expert on mutations. Yet. ;) wait for Lindsey, Amelia, Dries, or one of those other awesome breeders/budgie encyclopedias. :D

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a pied spangle and after her first molt her lines are very faint on the wings, almost not there. I think the fact that your bird is a pied has something to do with the wing markings changing like that.
Ah, if your bird is also doing this, then maybe it is a pied thing. It certainly sounds
like the changes in your birds spangle presentation is quite similar to what Dan is
doing. Thank you very much for sharing that. I was starting to think that I had a
really bizarre bird here :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Many spangles actually change and end up looking like opaline spangels even though they are normal spangles, it does not have anything to do with pied though. I have talked to a number of other breeders that have had this happen too as I was worried I was the only one that had this happening :p

I will try to find some pics as an example :)

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many spangles actually change and end up looking like opaline spangels even though they are normal spangles, it does not have anything to do with pied though. I have talked to a number of other breeders that have had this happen too as I was worried I was the only one that had this happening :p

I will try to find some pics as an example :)
Thank you for sharing that. How very confusing, having birds change their
appearance that way. That must be terribly annoying breeders such as yourself,
but I'm just reassured to know that my bird isn't doing something really unheard
of here, just being an oddball spangle.

Thanks again :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.