Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three budgies an Albino female-Adriene, a violet opaline male- Rocky, and a normal grey male-Apollo, I caught Rocky and Adriene mating a few times back in end of Jan begin of Feb...and Adriene laid 7 eggs!! all of which hatched, the last four however didn't make it past 48 hours..The first three hatched 2 on Feb 25th/26th and one on Feb 27th...I have an Albino chick, a Violet Opaline chick, and a third that appeared all white except in the wings and tail, there are pictures in my breeding Journal "Rocky and Adriene's Family" and in "Is this a pied?" thread, most agree the third chick is a pied of some sort and i have been educated to the fact that Albino can mask Recessive or dominant pied. I am now very sure the third is a pied, she/he now has some visible body color which appears to be grey on his belly and a little on the rump.His/her tail without a doubt has only black and white in it a trait of the greys. Some who have looked at the picture believe it may be opaline also, im not sure of that yet. My question is could an Albino Female and Violet Opaline Male produce a Pied Grey baby? or has Adriene dailied with both my boys? Any input would be much appreciated....

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Yes :) I have a number of albino females that are masking grey.

The only mutation a albino cant mask is cinnamon... if they are a cinnamon as well as albino they will be a visual lacewing :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Even though ino can mask grey you can't be 100% sure that the albino is the father of the 3rd chick.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even though ino can mask grey you can't be 100% sure that the albino is the father of the 3rd chick.
The Albino is my HEN, my two males are an Opaline Violet and a Normal Grey...The first two chicks are basiclly clones of the Mom and Dad...An Albino and an Opaline Violet...the third is a grey recessive pied...that many on here have said is opaline also...i dont see that..but i dont know this stuff that well

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sorry - meant to say the grey. Even if it is an opaline the grey could be the father, because it can be split for opaline.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry - meant to say the grey. Even if it is an opaline the grey could be the father, because it can be split for opaline.
Based on behavior, The Albino and Vilet Opaline seemd bonded, I caught them in the act a few times, and they both vehemently protected the nest area before i removed the Grey...I assumed The Vilet was the dad. Im pretty sure the Violet is the Albino chicks father...His wings overlap in a very distinct X on his back when he has his wings folded, and the Albino baby has exaxctly the same overlap in its wings..one chick is an exact replica of the Violet Opaline Assumed Father so im pretty sure hes his dad...The grey chick threw me off because of the grey I had read Grey is dominant and a bird cant just cary that gene it would be visual, and Albino/Violet are both recessive so they couldn't have produced a grey...that is why I asked if Albino can mask Grey...I believe most of the others agree that it can..so I'm assuming my hen is not a trollup....JK....thank you for your input...check out the pics in my Breeding Journal "Rocky and Adrienes Family..to get an idea of what im talking about.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Everything you said is true. I'm happy for you that you are convinced of the father. I've never said that the violet could not be the father. I'm doing colony breeding and eveni f a pair seemed to be bonded I got a few surprises, but observation helps to identify the real parents. I've check your yournal and the babies are lovely. Congrats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.