Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I’m posting this in the right place…I’ve been trying to learn about the different mutations and their variations, but I can’t wrap my head around them, it’s so confusing! We added this beautiful boy to our flock yesterday, and I am stumped on what mutation he is. He’s mainly white, but has some light yellow on his face and head, and throughout his body and wings, and a gorgeous deep blue on his rump. He also has some light blue around his neck area. Can anyone please confirm what mutation he is? Thank you in advance :)

Bird Beak Pet supply Feather Parrot
Bird Parrot Beak Pet supply Feather
Head Bird Eye Beak Feather

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
He is stunning, I love the blue rump, have you named him yet? StarlingWings our mutation expert will take a look and advise on his mutation.

We have two other budgies named Loki and Sylvie, and have a male cockatiel we’re bringing home within the next week who we’re naming Groot, so keeping with our theme, my partner and I have named this little guy Thor :) I appreciate any help in figuring out his mutation, it’s got a few of us stumped
He is stunning, I love the blue rump, have you named him yet? StarlingWings our mutation expert will take a look and advise on his mutation.
Thor is in our quarantine/hospital cage and away from the the other two, and the cockatiel will also be quarantined :) I don’t believe in clipping wings either, they’re birds and are meant to fly…my older 2 are out of their cages anytime my partner or I are at home and they’re 100% spoiled little budgies 😅 I make them chop that they get every day, using all organic veggies, grains, and fruit (I only add fruit every 2-3 days since the sugars aren’t good for them) and I also order them premium pellets from online, since the stores here don’t sell the good ones. They also get some seed as well. They are our children and basically rule the home. I have had birds throughout my whole life and am obsessive when it comes to doing my research on them, because I want them to have the best lives possible ❤
I was pretty sure Thor was pied, but was wondering what type, I was thinking recessive because of the orange beak and pink feet that I’ve read recessives have, but the yellow he has, along with the white and blue had me wondering if there was another mutation. I can’t seem to get all of the mutations straight, there’s so many and it’s a little confusing.
I love that you have concern for these sweet babies, and thank you for inquiring!

Oh! Forgot to mention. We have an amazing avian vet too :) Loki came to us sick from the pet store, and it took 2 trips to the vet and a 2 week course of antibiotics to get him well again, and giving him the meds twice a day sure was an adventure, but he’s healthy and thriving and such a sweetheart too. We’re letting Thor settle in, but I’ve been spending time sitting by his cage talking gently to him, and he’s been chirping back, preening himself, and eating and drinking with normal poops. We went to the pet store yesterday to buy more millet and some more toys for Loki and Sylvie (they have so many lol) and ended up seeing Thor and falling for him so we had to bring him home.

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Please be sure you quarantine the cockatiel away from the current birds when you bring them home.
Is Thor currently in quarantine?

I am totally smitten with your pied baby! What an incredibly handsome baby budgie boy!
Thor looks as if he already knows what a looker he is just by his poses. :)
I'm also glad to see it appears that he is fully flighted. That's excellent.

StarlingWings will be able to give you the mutation details when she in next on-line.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
Thor is a lucky boy to become part of your flock, would love to see pics of the others as well.

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Cody and FaeryBee have given you excellent advice and resources! Thor is very handsome. He’s still got his baby bars, which he’ll lose as he ages, but the surest way to tell if he’s a combination pied budgie is to see if his cere or eyes ever mature. He could be a combination pied budgie (single factor dominant pied and recessive pied), which will become evident quite soon if he is, but I actually think he looks like a double factor dominant pied budgie. If that’s the case he’ll get his irises but will probably have a mottled looking cere. He looks like a yellow face I cobalt double factor dominant pied budgie :) He could be mauve maybe but I don’t think he’s that dark, from the photos. If you have additional photos, I’d love to see them!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Best wishes! 👋

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Cody and FaeryBee have given you excellent advice and resources! Thor is very handsome. He’s still got his baby bars, which he’ll lose as he ages, but the surest way to tell if he’s a combination pied budgie is to see if his cere or eyes ever mature. He could be a combination pied budgie (single factor dominant pied and recessive pied), which will become evident quite soon if he is, but I actually think he looks like a double factor dominant pied budgie. If that’s the case he’ll get his irises but will probably have a mottled looking cere. He looks like a yellow face I cobalt double factor dominant pied budgie :) He could be mauve maybe but I don’t think he’s that dark, from the photos. If you have additional photos, I’d love to see them!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Best wishes! 👋
thank you so much! Thor is still a little scared of us moving around too much near his cage, so these angles I’ve got of him are the only ones I could get, I didn’t want to stress him out too much :) the blue on his rump, down the middle of it almost looks like there’s a grey stripe right down the middle. He’s so beautiful and we love him so much already. Our other two have lost their baby bars and Sylvie started getting the grey iris rings about a month ago. Our vet estimated Loki’s age at about 6 months when he saw him back in July, and we believe Sylvie to be about a month older than he is since she was already starting to lose her bars when we got them :)
I’ve had budgies on and off throughout my whole life and have dedicated a lot of time to researching them as much as possible so that I’m able to provide them with the best lives possible, and I’m so happy I found this forum, since it’s always good to keep learning and researching…I mod in a budgie group on fb too and love helping others give their feather babies the best possible ❤
I can’t put into words how much I appreciate your help in figuring out Thor’s mutation..that’s the one area of budgies I struggle with, all the mutations. Ive read in quite a few places that only the recessive pieds have the orange beak and pink feet. Is there any truth to that? I’ve read conflicting opinions on that and would love your input.
I am so excited to check out all the great information on here, you all are so great

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Thank you so much for the additional information you've provided. From what you've written, I can tell you take awesome care of all your babies.
I love the pictures of Loki and Sylvie (We LOVE :photo: pictures here so if you'd like to start and on-going picture thread of all your birdies, please feel free to do so!)

I hope to see you around the forums and would love to get to know you better. Feel free to correspond with me via Private Conversations if you care to do so. 💙💚💙

Best wishes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for the additional information you've provided. From what you've written, I can tell you take awesome care of all your babies.
I love the pictures of Loki and Sylvie (We LOVE :photo: pictures here so if you'd like to start and on-going picture thread of all your birdies, please feel free to do so!)

I hope to see you around the forums and would love to get to know you better. Feel free to correspond with me via Private Conversations if you care to do so. 💙💚💙

Best wishes!
I’m a crazy bird mama for sure 😅 I love these little guys so much, they bring me so much joy and happiness❤ It was everything in me to not bring all of the ones at the store home

1 - 9 of 9 Posts