Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my budgies just layed 2 eggs ! :D id love to know they're correct colour names if any one can help me out ? :)
tooty is all grey and i think a show bird and lula is small and multi coloured :)
thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lula has a greenish/blue front too :)

here she is in the nest box :)

and tooty :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lula appears from the photo to be a yellow face, sky blue greywing and Tooty is a grey spangle.

Lovely birds. Good luck with the chicks.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Lula appears from the photo to be a yellow face, sky blue greywing and Tooty is a grey spangle.
I agree with the mutations.

YF1 greywing sky blue x spangle grey:

All the chicks will be blue series, either blue or grey. If the male is a single factor grey, then half will be blue and half will be grey. If the male is a double factor grey, then all will be grey. See http://www.***************/gen_grey.html.

Half will be yellow face 1.

Half will be spangles. See http://www.***************/gen_spangle.html.

None will be greywings unless the grey spangle male is split to greywing or dilute.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh oops , thankyou :p

im hoping the eggs hatch , 2 eggs so far but they keep rolling to the back of the box

·
5,435 Posts
oh oops , thankyou :p

im hoping the eggs hatch , 2 eggs so far but they keep rolling to the back of the box
If the eggs roll around too much, they will addle and kill the developing chicks.

You should either buy a new nestbox with a concave or buy a concave and put it in your nestbox. Or you can add unscented pine shavings or Carefresh bedding to the nestbox and place the eggs on top. (Wash your hands before handling the eggs.) Some hens will reject nesting materials before the eggs hatch, which is why the concave is better. Then add bedding after the chicks hatch.

Make sure the bedding is not too deep; otherwise, the eggs and chicks will get lost underneath the bedding.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks :) it does have a concave but she must be moving them around , i went to the pet store just then and i had a choice between feathers or twine so i went with feathers :)

·
5,435 Posts
thanks :) it does have a concave but she must be moving them around , i went to the pet store just then and i had a choice between feathers or twine so i went with feathers :)
Wild budgie hens make their nests in tree trunks. I assume the hen chews the wood to make a shallow layer of wood shavings. This is why our pet budgie hens usually reject nesting materials intended for birds (such as finches) who nest differently.

Budgie hens have no use for twine or feathers. (Pet stores don't know what budgies need.) As you have observed, the feathers are not thick enough to prevent the eggs from rolling around.

The eggs are rolling around the box because the concave is too shallow. A budgie hen will turn each egg so the developing chick does not get stuck to one side of the egg. When she does this, the egg should not roll around the nestbox floor; it should stay inside a small space, such as a deep concave.

Once again, I suggest you buy a deeper concave or provide proper nesting materials. Otherwise, all the eggs will be addled.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok thanks :) i only have one petstore and thats all they have and i got the nest box from there too , maybe ill get someone to deepen it :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think putting a few feathers in there put her off the eggs , she layed another today but wont go in there now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.