Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The question is simple: do budgies have the ability to cry?

My bird passed away a couple of days ago. I spent the entire morning with her by my side. In the days leading up to her death, I noticed her eyes appeared much smaller. Normally, her eyes were quite large (accented by the fact that her iris was very dark--almost black). But a few days before she died, they looked smaller for some reason. I recall the eyes being noticeably filled with tears/overall wetness about an hour before her death. At this point, her left wing and left leg were completely paralyzed, and she could not walk at all. She was able to blink and close her eyes completely. Her eyes continued to get a little more wet until about a minute or two before she died. In these final minutes, her pain was clearly much more intense than before. Her eyes were both almost soaked, to the point where she was unable to close them more than half way. The liquid was clear, slightly viscous, but definitely watery.

Was she crying? Was it due to her extreme pain? Is it simply a biological response that happened for other reasons? Speculation is welcome, but I would also really like to hear from anyone who understands this from a physiological point of view, or from people who have seen this first hand under similar circumstances. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Niamhf and Pretty Boy. It was hard finding any information on this topic but I had read a few things saying that budgies did have tear ducts.

Her eyes were so wet and watery that a bit of the liquid (which--like I said--I presume was mostly water) ran down the feathers on her head.

The fact that her eyes were wet before she died, and that they were very wet while she was dying and in visible pain, suggests to me that she could have been "crying" (in the sense that it was a response to pain), or that she had some kind of infection, ailment, or disease of the eye (in both eyes), much like how she had other problems (like a paralyzed wing and foot, etc.). It may have just been something that happened in addition to her other problems (or, like Pretty Boy said, her body was shutting down).

I didn't mean to be too graphic with my original post, but I wanted readers to understand that as her pain increased, so did the tears. They seemed to be very connected. I am filled with immense sadness that she is no longer with me, but when I saw her in pain, I was so upset that I could not breathe. I wanted to help her so badly but I couldn't.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on her tears and your support.

She brought me so much joy, and it was always my dream to give her the same joy she gave me. I'm sure she's flying high with my last budgie Lizzy, who passed away 4 years ago.

Thanks again everyone, and I mean it a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.