Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking over the link for the Budgie/Parakeet Colors and Mutations that was given and Sam fits into the categories for Dominant pied , Clearflight pied and. He has the pattern across his stomach for dominant pied plus the clear feathers along the bottom of his wing as well as the patch on the back of his head. As far as the clearflight pied goes.. his flight feathers are clear and the patch on the back of his head can also mean clearflight pied. Is he both or what? Thanks in advance. :) In the first pic, he's the one on the right.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
He is a dominant pied

A combination of dominant pied and clearflight pied usually has a lot more clear areas

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Can Sam----?

Hi,

There are people all over the US, including myself asking similar questions.

Please see Dutch pied article on Dieder Mervilde's web page. He is from Belgium and has been very helpful to me. In my case, I have a Frosted Pied, which Dries is patiently waiting to see photos of such. There are several comments on Gerald Binks web page.

Blessings,

Jo Ann:budgie:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hi,

There are people all over the US, including myself asking similar questions.

Please see Dutch pied article on Didder Mervilde's web page. He is from Belgium and has been very helpful to me. In my case, I have a Frosted Pied, which Dries is patiently waiting to see photos of such. There are several comments on Gerald Binks web page.

Blessings,

So glad you didn't forget!!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
and here adds to more confusion what in the world is frosted pied

I know dutch pied is another term for Clear Flight Pied

but Never heard of Frosted pied

but for the sake of the newbies Could we keep to using Known terms Makes our job a lot easier and makes it less confusing for Every one involved when the Commonly used terms are used instead of ones that are no longer used.

Known Terms for The Pied Gene:
Dominant Pied
Clear Flight Pied
Dutch Pied
Recessive Pied
Spangle

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I've never heard of one Couldn't find it on any mutation list including the World- Budgerigar Organizations standard of color

so what is one?

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Scroll down near the bottom or search for frosted:
http://www.budgerigarsociety.com/bs_club_show_2006_seminars.asp

Scroll down for pictures:
http://www.officialbarrieshuttbudgerigars.com/coloursmutations.htm

Quote from a site::
"A Pied with a Difference (FROSTED PIED)

Bred by Bob Travnicek, United States of America

Bob Travnicek has Bred this variety for many years

The original Birds were acquired by Dr. Goullard in California in the 1970's

Bob's first Frosted was obtained in 1979.

Bob has won many Major Awards with this variety, Including Best in Show

Jeff Attwood has imported several of this variety from Bob

He will no doubt pair these to his best normals "
Link to this:
http://www.sweeting-budgerigars.co.uk/2003 babies.html
About 3 sections down.

Another article not read this one myself though:
http://www.camellesbudgies.com.au/?page=114

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Thanks

I'd never heard of them before

If I would of ever saw one I would just assumed it was a poorly marked Dominant pied

unless I missed it I don't see how they're created though, Other than a few times saying " To revisit the Recessive pied occasionally" - so I assumed at least one mutation to make it is Recessive pied?

I just went to the last link didn't read much on Frosted but was looking around found a useful article of why Corncob, Walnut bedding and other bedding shouldn't be used I book marked that page so I can read more later

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Thanks

I'd never heard of them before

If I would of ever saw one I would just assumed it was a poorly marked Dominant pied

unless I missed it I don't see how they're created though, Other than a few times saying " To revisit the Recessive pied occasionally" - so I assumed at least one mutation to make it is Recessive pied?
Not sure how they are made, I just know they are stunning lol.

Barrie or Nev might know the genetics behind it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay.. gotya! Thanks again folks! And yet another mutation/term thrown into the mix to learn of as well. :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
and here adds to more confusion what in the world is frosted pied

I know dutch pied is another term for Clear Flight Pied

but Never heard of Frosted pied

but for the sake of the newbies Could we keep to using Known terms Makes our job a lot easier and makes it less confusing for Every one involved when the Commonly used terms are used instead of ones that are no longer used.

Known Terms for The Pied Gene:
Dominant Pied
Clear Flight Pied
Dutch Pied
Recessive Pied
Spangle

Just to be 100% sure: A clear flight pied and a dutch pied is the same thing? That's why I couldn't find a clear flight pied on the genetic calculator. Thanks for that piece of info.
Will read through all those links for frosted pieds, but now I must go to help the kiddies to study for the exam. I'm living in a school hostel.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Just to be 100% sure: A clear flight pied and a dutch pied is the same thing? That's why I couldn't find a clear flight pied on the genetic calculator. Thanks for that piece of info.
Will read through all those links for frosted pieds, but now I must go to help the kiddies to study for the exam. I'm living in a school hostel.
Yep took me a while too I had to go look it up on Google

but on the genetic calculator (which I'm sure you know the others but in case you don't or if others are confused....)

(Aus)pied = Dominant Pied
(Dut)pied = Clear Flight pied
(Dan)rec.pied = Recessive pied
Spangle = Spangle :)

If you have a Grey budgie you just use the Grey at the top of the Calculator

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Dutch pieds, Continental pieds and clearflight pieds are the same mutation

There is a lot of variation between clearflight pieds, some will have very few clear areas, other will large clear patches and others will show frosting or speckles.

A frosted pied is a variation of a clearflight pied. Some clearflight pieds have a lot of frosting on their upper bodies and this trait can be selectively bred to produce more frosted pieds

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

There is a lot of variation between clearflight pieds, some will have very few clear areas, other will large clear patches and others will show frosting or speckles.

A frosted pied is a variation of a clearflight pied. Some clearflight pieds have a lot of frosting on their upper bodies and this trait can be selectively bred to produce more frosted pieds
Very interesting! Thanks for clarification.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts

so is Frosted pied a mutation of its own? Or in actuality (or Technically) it would be considered a Clear flight pied. and people just call it frosted because of how it looks instead of calling it Clear Flight pied

·
4,409 Posts
Can Sam----?

Hi,

Thanks Captain Howdy!!

According to Didier, Mervilde, a WBO Judge & breeder from Belgium, known for rares and especially clearflight, and dutch pied, A frosted pied is a type of Dutch pied.
He has good commentary and photos on his web page under the article title Dutch Pied. A Photo of my Frosted pied is on member profile of BAA web page.
I am not able to put on TB. Also see comments on Gerald Binks web page, which is how I found out about Mr. Mervilde. There is currently a discussion about where to show some birds that are possibly either Dominant pied or clearflight pied here in the US. I first found out about frosted pied from having, my Jack Frost reclassified from clearflight to Frosted this past show season. Until recently there was no way to encourage breeders to show the rarer mutations here in the US. December 3rd in New Orleans will be an ABS show that should have a number of frosted , clearflight, dutch, and dominant, pieds as well as the normal and other rare varities. The rare birds compete in the Rare/Endangered Divisions in BAA/ABS Shows in US. I believe there is a lot of room for clarification in this area. So keep asking as this focuses attention on the need to clarify these endangered/ rare birds. I think there is still a feeling that there is a difference between dutch and clearflight and frosted comes out of the Dutch. For now I will let the experts work it out. Some Judges here in US do not know what a Dutch pied is let alone a Frosted. Jack was put in AOV at one show until ABS linked the classifications. It does keep life interesting!!

Blessings,

·
4,409 Posts
Can Sam----?

Hi,

The breeding that produced my frosted pied was a white DEC and a dark green recessive pied split to do several things: improve size an I wanted to produce a clearflighted pied. I had no idea that there was a dutch pied. The breeding produced a White DEC hen, a recessive pied ****, blue series, 2 green clearflighted pieds and Jack Frost, our frosted pied. Didier Mervilde has a chart of potential pairings for the various types in his article DUTCH PIED on his web page. There are photos as well. I hope This helps.

Blessings,

Jo Ann:budge:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.