Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My blue opaline **** and white lacewing hen produce this beautiful bird...

It has red eyes, with a competely white body, except for a splash of purple on it's rump and light cinnamon wings...

So... What should I call it? Is it a Fallow? Lacewing? Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Personally it looks like a cobalt lacewing.

Lacewing is sex linked so your **** must be split lacewing for baby lacewing chicks. Is it possible to see pictures of the parents?

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
Wow, that is such a gorgeous budgie! I agree with Pearce, I think COlbalt Lacewing! But pictures of parents would help too:)

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
You are way ahead of me :):) I just posted on your other thread to start a mutation thread. But you already did :):) I am sure someone will be able to help you soon :):) Although it seems you are already getting some assitance. I love this little bird :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I don’t know the answer to this question. The fact that it’s mother was a lacewing makes it more likely that it is a lacewing as well. Lacewings are sex-linked so the father would have to be split for lacewing for the chick to show the mutation

I think this bird had too much colour for it to be a lacewing and if there was no information about the parents I’d be inclined to think it was a fallow. The fallow gene is recessive so both parents would have to be split for the mutation for it to show

A fallow budgie has brown markings, diluted body colour, and red eyes. The body colour is usually most visible on the rump

A picture of the parents would be interesting but as split mutations generally can’t be seen it probably won’t help

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your help...

Nev... My first thoughts was that it was a recessive pied Fallow - but I just wanted some help to confirm...

The father is one of mine too - and he isn't split for lacewing... Or if he is it would be his great grandparents grandparents - cause I can trace his genetics back about 7 generations... lol His father's father was a fallow though, so they would have been carrying the fallow gene for sure...

My lacewing was supposed to be an albino when I got her a few years ago from another breeder, she was 10 weeks old when I got her and her her cheek patches were a light violet... After a few weeks, very faint wing cinnamon wing marking started to come in, and by her first moult, it was obvious that I had a Lacewing... I went back to the breeder, to get some information about her parents, but sadly she does only colony breeding and couldn't even confirm the parents, cause she swaps the babies between nests, so the mothers only have to raise four chicks each..

The bird that she pointed out to me, that she was sure was the father was a Lacewing (basically an albino with cinnamon wings) and the mother was a mystery to her, although quite possibly one of her albino's?

It actually drove me crazy at the time - I decided that I would only buy from breeders that could give me at least a few generations of history...

I used to colony breed - but I never swapped out chicks, so it was easy to follow thier genetic history... Now I'm into colour breeding and as you can see, I've been having some lovely results...

·
Registered
126 Posts
i would have to agree with nev90 it is more likly to be a fallow
and if so you should hang on to it for a breeding stud and breed back to
dad-daug and mom son if it is a true fallow you will get fallow chicks from the
mateing.
joen bonnnie53

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.