·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This 15-day-old chick (hen) has:
cobalt back
black and white wing and head feathers
pied spot on back of head
clear tail and flight feathers (please confirm by examining pictures)

Her parents are sky blue normal DFYF1 split for recessive pied (****) and cobalt opaline spangle dominant pied and recessive pied or split for recessive pied (hen) (see 4th and 5th pictures).

Is the chick a cobalt dominant pied?

(Full breeding journal, which includes her two siblings, is here: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?p=533918#post533918.)

Attachments

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oooooooooo, I sure hope she's sky blue! :fingerx: All my other 11 juveniles and chicks are cobalts.

And thanks for the confirmation she's dominant pied; my dominant pied count is beginning to catch up with my normal and recessive pied counts. :)

The YF doesn't surprise me. As I've posted here several times, all my other 11 juveniles and chicks are YF.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
id also say a blue pied.
He would or had ywllow pins by now if he was green. And you can see the little patch on his head.

Congrats on then chick..hes adorable:D

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
At first glance one might not suspect its recessive pied. But the tell tale clear chest patch and clear tail feathers were/are there. You are right, its a very heavily marked recessive pied :)

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oh boy; pieds really confuse me! :p

Dominant pied budgies usually have a distinct pattern. There is always a band of clear body feathers across the lower-mid belly. This band can be very small to very large, encompassing almost the entire belly area. This band can also sometimes be irregular, not forming a complete band across the belly. There is also a band of clear feathers across the bottom of the wings. This band can be restricted to the very lower wing feathers or cover almost the entire wing area. Dominant pieds also always have a patch of clear feathers on the back of the head, usually about the size of a dime. http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#dominantpied
So I guess she's recessive pied partly because she lacks "a band of clear body feathers across [her] lower-mid belly."

Recessive pied budgies have, in general, mostly clear feathers on all areas except the rump, which remains the original body color. In general there is a patch of normally colored body feathers near the bottom of the belly, with the rest of the body feathers being clear. Where there are marked feathers on the wings, these feathers are half clear near the top. The wings can have anywhere from a lot to very little marked feathers. The feathers on the head are mostly clear except sometimes for patches near the eyes and top of the head. http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#recessivepied
Yep, she sure doesn't look recessive pied, even though she is! :eek:

Here are a couple pics of her back. She has the clear pied spot, a few tiny clear dots on back of head, clear scruff of neck, two clear flight feathers and clear long tail feathers.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
What a beautiful and uniquely colored little girl! I love her eye color too, so pretty. Are you keeping her? I had at least one recessive pied (normal pattern) in one of my clutches years ago; both parents were dominant pied. Dad was definitely split to recessive; mom I didn't know the parents. I am learning quite a bit on this site, especially in regards to the pieds I had back then. This same pair also had a normal and a double factor dominant pied (figured that out here :D ).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.