Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if you guys could identify what type of mutations my parakeets were. I have no idea and have been trying to find the mutation and stuff. Can you guys help me cause I'm so lost lol :eek:

My little girl Tapa :budge:

My little boy Tio :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I am not an expert, but my GUESS is that Tapa is a normal blue and Tio is some sort of pied blue spangle? They're both super cute!! :) I'm sure someone will come along shortly who can tell you for sure!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not an expert, but my GUESS is that Tapa is a normal blue and Tio is some sort of pied blue spangle? They're both super cute!! :) I'm sure someone will come along shortly who can tell you for sure!!
Thanks for the input! A spangle huh? Thats awesome cause I got him for 7$! lol. Then again i dont know the going price for spangles :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Tapa is a normal cobalt
Tio is a spangle dominant pied sky blue (or could be cobalt)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tapa is a normal cobalt
Tio is a spangle dominant pied sky blue (or could be cobalt)
Well his coloring is more on the side of sky blue I would say. If they were to ever have babies is the future would they be a mix of these or maybe one would dominate the other? I dont plan to breed but I'll give a box if they want to when they are at least a year old :rolleyes:

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I agree with Nev, but I think Tio is also a cinnamon, and more than likely a cobalt since the cinnamon dilutes his color a bit :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Nev, but I think Tio is also a cinnamon, and more than likely a cobalt since the cinnamon dilutes his color a bit :)
oh wow! So is this cinnamon gene likely to be passed on? Cause I really love his color lol.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yep when you have a male cinnamon all his daughters will be cinnamons :)
Does this mean sons will be normal cobalt? Sorry I'm just getting so intrigued by this lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The males would all look normal, but be split for cinnamon. So if you bred them, half of their daughters would be cinnamon, half would be normal respectivly :)
Wow thats amazing! I'm going to write this info down somewhere in case they ever do have babies! Make sure I keep a good log of their age and mutations just for future references. Now if I had a half split male cinnamon breed with a normal cinnamon girl would that make the cinnamon gene stronger? I would guess it does because it gives the recessive genes of the split cinnamon male more chances to create another cinnamon. Oh and sorry for all the questions. Its just great hearing from some one who has experience and knowledge on the matter.

·
19,551 Posts
Wow thats amazing! I'm going to write this info down somewhere in case they ever do have babies! Make sure I keep a good log of their age and mutations just for future references. Now if I had a half split male cinnamon breed with a normal cinnamon girl would that make the cinnamon gene stronger? I would guess it does because it gives the recessive genes of the split cinnamon male more chances to create another cinnamon. Oh and sorry for all the questions. Its just great hearing from some one who has experience and knowledge on the matter.
Yep but in the instance you breed a female cinnamon with a male split cinnamon you could also get male cinnamons also, instead of only females when the dad is the only one carrying the gene :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much for your help! This was really informative!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I have a lot of cinnamon spangles and I don't think your bird is cinnamon. Perhaps posting some more pictures of him would sort it out

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Here is another pic

·
19,551 Posts
I have a lot of cinnamon spangles and I don't think your bird is cinnamon. Perhaps posting some more pictures of him would sort it out
Maybe it is just my comp, but he looked really brown and his cheek patches didnt look normal. But you know much more about this than me so I am sure you are right :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.