Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vet had asked me to apply 2 drops to the back of her neck. She isnt tame and doesnt like being touched so i Really struggled to catch and then hold her, so I've got no idea how much I finally did apply. Quite a bit fell just on her feathers rather than her skin and the feathers on the back of her neck are sticky now.

She was quite shaken after her ordeal, akmosy dazed, which i first thougj was just because of the physic struggle but then i read up on overdose symtpoms.

Now she seems quiet but ok. She's back on her swing and preening herself.

I don't know what possessed me to administer ivermectin myself. I'm so scared I've poisoned my little girl.

The vet said it's very mild. I'm not sure what the concentration is. On the tube it says

xeno 50mini.
Ivermectin 50mcg

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was told by my vet that to only put two drops as you could overdose but I'm not sure on the dose myself but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out with more experience!

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
You need to catch your bird and get it under luke warm water in your sink and get all that washed off....right now

Reactions: FaeryBee

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,335 Posts
the reason Jonah says to get her washed off, is because our birds preen themselves, which means she will ingest that ivermectin which isn't meant to be given orally. So it needs to be washed off ASAP

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Yes JW....exactly. Being as the bird has already been preening, I hope it has not ingested any. I don't know what could be given orally to neutralize that, if anything. Pipsicle need's to contact an emergency vet ASAP....

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not sure if it will help for budgies but I've been told that charcoal absorbs toxins in the stomach for children and adults it's been also given to dogs before when they digest something that could potentially kill them...
Could budgies have charcoal also!?

Update
I've had a quick search online and I belive you can give it to them. - I'm not sure on dosage for them but you might have some Chadian capsules in you cupboard , I would probably sprinkle half of one of those or even a full capsule over his food ? I'm unsure though so maybe someone else can suggest something?

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Good info Bethanyi...I would still call an avian vet because they may have something better, or at least can say go ahead with your suggestion...:)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yes as Randy has said call the vets ASAP I'm only saying the charcoal as it takes your budgie about three hours for him to digest and by the time of your post its reaching that time now if it hasn't already...

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
Not sure of the types you have overseas, but here in Australia we have 2 types of Ivermectin. One is water based which is actually Oral Sheep Drench and the other is Alcohol based and is a spot on and here mainly used for cattle. Both can be used for birds but the one that is usually used for birds is the water based. This one can be given internally. Many people use it externally on the back of the neck but it takes much longer to get into the system. An avian vet in Victoria Australia at a lecture at a budgie club when asked told them you could give them 20 times the correct dosage without any adverse side effects. I have been using the water based oral Ivermectin for 20 years and have never had a problem with it. I mainly give it direct into the beak and on many different species of parrots. The dosage of our water based is 1 drop per 100g body weight and we use one drop internally or externally for budgies. I looked up the Xeno 50 mini and the dosage for birds says 1 drop per 15g body weight and is possibly an alcohol based product.

The alcohol based Ivermectin is much stronger and is not usually used for birds and we never use an injectable type here in Australia.

Bethany Charcoal is fine for birds. Over here we can buy charcoal from pet shops and you can also get charcoal calcium bells. In the wild budgies would chew on the charcoal from burnt trees after bush fires if they felt they needed it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
****, I've just seen your replies. Are you sure I need to wash it off? I don't think anything fell on her in an area that can access. It's all in her back. I was just worried, I'd applied too much directly to her skin.

She seems perfectly fine now but then I guess that's not a reliable indicator. There's no way she will let me catch her again to wash her feathers off. Would it work if I just sprayed her with water? But then what if I make the ivermectin that's just on her back run down her feathers to areas where she can ingest it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kate, I don't understand. If the dosage is 1drop to be given for every 15g isn't that a milder dose than 1 drop for every 100g?
Not sure of the types you have overseas, but here in Australia we have 2 types of Ivermectin. One is water based which is actually Oral Sheep Drench and the other is Alcohol based and is a spot on and here mainly used for cattle. Both can be used for birds but the one that is usually used for birds is the water based. This one can be given internally. Many people use it externally on the back of the neck but it takes much longer to get into the system. An avian vet in Victoria Australia at a lecture at a budgie club when asked told them you could give them 20 times the correct dosage without any adverse side effects. I have been using the water based oral Ivermectin for 20 years and have never had a problem with it. I mainly give it direct into the beak and on many different species of parrots. The dosage of our water based is 1 drop per 100g body weight and we use one drop internally or externally for budgies. I looked up the Xeno 50 mini and the dosage for birds says 1 drop per 15g body weight and is possibly an alcohol based product.

The alcohol based Ivermectin is much stronger and is not usually used for birds and we never use an injectable type here in Australia.

Bethany Charcoal is fine for birds. Over here we can buy charcoal from pet shops and you can also get charcoal calcium bells. In the wild budgies would chew on the charcoal from burnt trees after bush fires if they felt they needed it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Called the emergency vet. They said we should wipe off the ivermectin from her feathers so that it doesn't run to places she can access so we caught her and did that
Vet said it's extremely unlikely that she got an overdose and that we should just monitor her and look for seizures.

I hope she'll be ok

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
I hope she will be alright. I would be worried about leaving it on the feathers whether she can reach it or not...but that is me...

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
In future when you need to catch her use a small cloth, not a towel as they can get their nails caught. Cotton is a good material it is light and does not get pulls.
use the cloth to gently catch her. The best time to catch her is just before they go to bed . Throw the cloth over her totally, she will stop still then gently scoop her up and adjust the cloth so her head and shoulders are free, use your thumb and pointer finger to gently hold her with her body cupped in the rest of your hand and get someone else to apply the Ivemectin which you have already organised ready to go.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jonah, sorry if i wasnt clear but we did wipe it off with a
Wet hanky as the vet said it's better than to wash ger. Hopefully we got most of it.

Just checked on her.she seems ok. Thanks a lot evryone for your concern and help.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Good deal pip...:)

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,157 Posts
My little bloke got toxic gait (poisoned) from a mite spray someone put on him and he was so cold, even his (usually) hot little feet! :eek: I thought for sure he was going to die. I washed it off with baby shampoo and carried him around in the middle of my chest, under my top and kept him warm and with me, talking etc.

He got better - I am convinced if I had just put him back in his cage, he would have just given up and died.

The symptoms of poisoning are hard to miss - so it sounds like your little one is okay! :thumbsup:

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
It would be if it was a water based product and the strength of the product was the same.

Our water based Ivermectin is Ivomec Liquid for Sheep, strength 0.8g/L, this is given directly to the beak at the rate of 0.1ml per 100g body weight or 1 drop, and the alcohol based is Ivomec Pour-on for Cattle and its strength is 5.0g/L this one is used for putting on the back of the neck at a rate of 0.015ml per 100g body weight.

We also cannot get these two types mixed up as the water based is clear like water and the pour on is died blue. Also the Ivermectin water based over here is not available in a small container from memory the smallest container is 3 litres and that would be enough to treat every bird in Australia regularly for the next 10 years. It is also against the law to break it down into smaller containers unless you are a vet. It is only distributed here for cattle and sheep and not for small animals and birds. Our laws here are very strict about packaging and I know it used to cost $10,000 to apply for a new package size with the government so the manufacturer just hasn't bothered.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. It's the next morning and she still seems ok. She's scared of me now but I guess that was to be expected. I'll have to slowly regain her trust but I think today I will just give her some space and peace.

I doubt I'll be doing this again. I really don't know what possessed me to attempt it yesterday.

Next time I'll just go the vet or at least do it together with my husband so one of us can hold her and the other apply the meds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.