·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bird Beak Parrot Fence Grey

Bird Beak Feather Floor Wood

Bird Beak Parrot Toy Door

hi all.
My little fellow is roughly 10 weeks old. I’ve noticed some changes in his cere over the past few days and I’m a bit concerned. He seems healthy to me. He’s alert and active. Vocal. I give him a mixture of pellets (which he tosses out) prestige seed mix and I’m gradually introducing veg fruit and herbs to try and avoid stomach upset. I have never witnessed him taking a drink but there is always fresh water available. If I offer it to him he just nibbles at the bowl🤨.
many advice or option would be great. Thank you!

·
Administrator
60,580 Posts
Don't worry about him drinking. He is drinking when you aren't around. Budgies can be very sneaky with their drinking habits. ;)

The last two pictures are too blurry to see well.
He may have a case of scaly mites.
Please try to get some clear pictures of the cere so we can determine if that is the case.

If he has scaly mites, the proper treatment is ivermectin spot on treatment or Scatt for Birds spot on treatment.
Never use a mite spray on your budgie or try to resort to at home remedies.

If Albus is indeed affected, Bluebell will need to be treated for mites as well.

Common Avian Parasites

After posting the next set of pictures, you can take a bit of olive oil on a Q-tip to moisten his cere.
Please be careful not to get the oil into his nares.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't worry about him drinking. He is drinking when you aren't around. Budgies can be very sneaky with their drinking habits. ;)

The last two pictures are too blurry to see well.
He may have a case of scaly mites.
Please try to get some clear pictures of the cere so we can determine if that is the case.

If he has scaly mites, the proper treatment is ivermectin spot on treatment or Scatt for Birds spot on treatment.
Never use a mite spray on your budgie or try to resort to at home remedies.

If Albus is indeed affected, Bluebell will need to be treated for mites as well.

Common Avian Parasites

After posting the next set of pictures, you can take a bit of olive oil on a Q-tip to moisten his cere.
Please be careful not to get the oil into his nares.
Oh dear. That’s what I was afraid of😟
This is the best picture I can get of him. He’s a lively wee fella and won’t sit still.
Leg Bird Human body Gesture Finger

Thanks for your advice and time FaeryBee. I appreciate it.

·
Administrator
60,580 Posts
Albus (and Bluebell) should both be treated for mites.

You can take them to an Avian Vet OR you can order Scatt for Birds (Spot-On Treatment) and administer it yourself.

In the meantime, please put some olive oil on his cere and beak to help with the dryness.

Let me know how things progress.

Best wishes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.