Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was noticing that Louie and Reed have different colored cheek patches. I looked up a lot of information on it but I can't really get a lot from it because I know nothing about budgie genetics lol

Reed has navy blue/dull purple cheek patches
Louie has really vibrant violet cheek patches

Is this just because Louie is a green and Reed blue? I will try and post some pictures that show their cheek patches. I know Louie is an opaline light green and I believe someone said Reed is an opaline, some kind of blue/violet yellow faced something or other (any assistance with that technical term would be greatly appreciated :eek:)

Thanks!

Attachments

G

·
Hi Jess

Louie is an opaline darkgreen hen. Her vibrant cheek patches may indicate she has violet in her. But green budgies are very difficult to see violet in a green series bird.

Reed is an opaline mauve blue ****. His purplish blue cheek patches also may indicate he has violet. Similarly, violet does not show well in a mauve blue budgie. Probably breeding Reed with a non-violet hen will confirm whether any babies is violet or not.

I love both Reed and Louie. They are stunningly beautiful. :loveeyes:

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Louie is a desk green opaline, normal green budgies always have violet cheek patches that is the normal cheek patch color for a green series bird when no other mutations are effecting them :)

Reed looks like a cobalt violet opaline yellow face. When a budgie has a violet factor it effects the color of the cheek patches often making them a deep navy/violet. The yellow face mutation effects the color also as will just about any combination of mutations a budgie has :) He does not look dark enough for a mauve to me, and violet mauves are very dark from the combination.

:question:

Any thoughts?
:peep: Anyone??

Is it just as basic as it seems, Green bird = violet cheek patches blue/violet budgie = navy blue cheek patches??
Sometimes it can take a day or 2 for someone to be able to answer your question, so it is important to be patient. You will get an answer when someone is on line and can respond ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys thanks for your response!

Yes I know I need to be more patient :eek: but when I get into researching something I just get stuck on it, then I research it until I have an answer.
So no I don't mind waiting I was just hoping that bumping it up would let someone see it who would know something about it because I often miss threads that are older also.

On a side note I thought Louie was a boy and Reed a girl? Louie has that dark purple/blue cere and reed a lighter bluish tan with the white circles.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Hi guys thanks for your response!

Yes I know I need to be more patient :eek: but when I get into researching something I just get stuck on it, then I research it until I have an answer.
So no I don't mind waiting I was just hoping that bumping it up would let someone see it who would know something about it because I often miss threads that are older also.

On a side note I thought Louie was a boy and Reed a girl? Louie has that dark purple/blue cere and reed a lighter bluish tan with the white circles.
I understand it can be hard to be patient :) It is important to remember that not every member has had a chance to do research about mutations and there are only a so many that will respond to mutation threads, and not all members are online at the same time as this is a world wide forum so it can take a little while sometimes. You will get a response though :)

However bumping up threads is against the forum rules, and we have been seeing quite a bit of it lately so I thought I would mention it :)

And you are correct, Reed looks like a female (the different pictures have different colors though so some natural light pics with no flash would be helpful) and Louie a male :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.