Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Puff - I suspected he was opaline and now that he is molting for the first time the blue on his back and in his wings is becoming brighter. Am I right? If he wasn't he would have no blue there right? Twisty doesn't have any green and he is a grey wing too.

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/Cara_Joos/media/Puffback_zps50425ed9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

I am wondering if it is possible to tell visually if a budgie is mixed dominant and recessive pied. Here's Cheerio has very few black or green markings and is so different from my other recessive pied. Here he is before he molted his tail and wing feathers. I didn't notice until looking at these how different his primaries and tail feathers are now. They are totally clear light yellow now.

After molt, see how light his primaries and tail feathers are. His central tail feathers are just growing in so are short still.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am excited to tell my breeder that he is opaline. They were thinking they had no opaline males. I think this will help them figure out the parents' genetics.

I read that it is possible to be mixed with recessive and dominant pied. Why can't they be both? Its ok no matter what he is but his markings are so scarce, particularly the green, that I thought maybe he was a mix.

Is it common for wing and tail feathers to go from brownish to lighter as they get older? This wasn't his first molt but probably his first as after sexual maturity.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It is possible to mix dominant and recessive pied . Usually you can make out through visual signs like oddly coloured ceres or one eye having an iris ring while the other eye doesn't.
Beautiful looking budgies you got there :) .

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vinay. So you think Cheerio is "just" a very lightly marked recessive pied then?

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Thanks Vinay. So you think Cheerio is "just" a very lightly marked recessive pied then?
Could be a double factor dominant pied, they seem to have less markings than recessive pied, and if I remember correctly develop iris rings, like my Suki, although she is a big mix of things! Her markings are pale but not sure why, anyway she doesn't photograph well but as you can see her markings are very sparse.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suki is so pretty! I totally want a DF dominant someday too! No he is definitely recessive pied and has plum eyes and no iris rings. I am pretty convinced he is a SF dominant and a recessive. I will have to breed him to find out but he is just so sparce on markings and has completely clear wing and tail feathers. I have never seen a pure recessive pied like him. At least in pictures I have searched out. Breeding him would be fun because who knows what will come out!!

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Thank you :D I thought Suki was a recessive when I got her, but her iris rings are finally coming in, like 9 months later haha, my eyes aren't very good to see if she had plum eyes or not, my sparks is a recessive, like your guy but a few more markings, and I can't tell if his eyes are plum or dark :rolleyes: and yes your little guy is very clear for a recessive, how wonderful :D such a beautiful and unusual pattern :D If you do breed him it would be very interesting and lovely to see the babies :D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someday someday I will breed him. Not sure if I can convince my rp hen to switch to him from Twist though! There is a rp violet yellow face at petco that was there when I chose Cheerio in January. I don't know why because she is gorgeous! If only I knew what was going to happen inthe next year. I suppose there will be many beautiful budgies crossing my path so I will resist!

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
Am I missing something here? I don't see the opaline. Do you have other back shots?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! Seeing Cheerio become more trusting is really fun. I don't work with him specifically and pretty much just let him be except to offer millet. He gets quite close now without being scared and will eat from an offered millet spray most of the time. I really fall a little more for him every day. I love his little yellow self! He is quite cheery which is why I picked him and gravitated to his name.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.