Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Below are my 2 oldest chicks out of 4. Have I got the mutations and colours right? Both Parents were Dominent Pied - I think!

Also we are trying to decide what to call them. Mum is Sky and Dad Cirrus so we would like to continue the Sky and Weather theme, but are stumped by these 2! Any suggestions very welcome

Blue Chick - Sky Blue Dominent Pied???

White Chick - Cobalt Blue Double Factor Dominent Pied???

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I'm sorry, I can't help with the mutations. Here are some ideas for names though...

Aurora (as in Aurora Borealis)
Beaufort (as in the Beaufort Scale that indicates the wind speed using the effect wind has on certain familiar objects.) - Kind of a silly name, but could be cute
Breezy
Cyclone (good one for a trouble maker)
Chinook (as in Chinook Wind- A strong downslope wind that causes the air to warm rapidly as a result of compressive heating)
Cloud (could be cute for your white baby)
Cumulus
Drizzle
Gale (Sustained wind speeds from 34 to 47 knots (39 to 54 mph))
Gusty
Haze
Misty
Rain
Rossby (as in Rossby Waves- Long waves that form in air or water that flows almost parallel to the equator, which results form the effect of the earth's rotation.)
Stratus

Information from http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/glossary.htm

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pinksand - you have some new ideas for me there! I will add them to my list. I am going to need 2 more names in a few days time when the others colour up properly, so all help is gratefully received!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are beautiful babies and for the white one, I would call him/her mine! :D

Lisa
Ha ha! Hands off! I was desperate for a white one, and knew it was a possiblity with the pairing. I love him! (I have decided he is male, although I will probably be very wrong down the line!). He has a very cute personality too. The blue one is much cockier and very nippy! We are thinking hen from her personality, but will probably be wrong again!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I don't name my birds - so no help there, but they are lovely. I'm not sure about the first chick's mutation - looks more a clearflight pied to me, but then again I'm no expert on mutations.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't name my birds - so no help there, but they are lovely. I'm not sure about the first chick's mutation - looks more a clearflight pied to me, but then again I'm no expert on mutations.
Thank you. Not bad for our first go! The last 2 chicks are feathering up very different to these two but equally as gorgeous

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have decided on Capri for the blue one and Cloud for the white one

Can anyone help me with their mutations?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think they are both cobalt, although the first one does look like it might be a little bit lighter.

And females.

But I don't know whether they are dominant pieds or clearflight pieds. Do you have any photos of their parents?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Now we need the experts (Nev,actchick, Lindsey) to come in. I think that the hen is a clearflight pied - it looks like one to me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now we need the experts (Nev,actchick, Lindsey) to come in. I think that the hen is a clearflight pied - it looks like one to me.
Thanks - I will wait to see what they say

I assume the **** is Spangle ?, although it is not that clear in the picture his markings are blue on his head and wings. The 2 youngest chicks are also looking to have Spangle markings, but not blue.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Your hen looks clear flight pied to me as well I see what looks like a small clear patch on her side right where the wings lay Which is why you may of thought she was a dominant pied( the whole clear band on the belly area thing) but she looks more like a poorly marked Clear Flight pied - Poorly marked being the clear patch being that far down on her body normally its around the neck area

The male is dominant pied and Looks grey wing there is a big glare on his wings( i know how hard it is to get good pics of mainly white birds ;) But it could be Spangle and it just looks Grey wing to me

Also the lack of Markings he has I wouldn't be surprised if he has another Mutation mixed in with him. Because Normal Dominant pieds have a whole lot of wing markings and he has barely any - so he maybe a Dominant -Recessive pied combo

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks atvchick95. What does that make my 2 chicks in the first picture?

The adult ****'s markings are all blue, no grey

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Thanks atvchick95. What does that make my 2 chicks in the first picture?

The adult ****'s markings are all blue, no grey
the 1st chick is a Clear flight pied
the second looks like a combo of Clear flight and Dominant pied - but I could be wrong

and the wing markings on your male they're grey- wing markings can't be blue the markings are the lines that go over the head and on the wings
if they look blue it just means the body color is washing over on to them making them appear blue but the actual markings itself is not blue. they can only be 3 colors Black(for normal marked birds) Grey (for Grey wings/dilutes) and Brown(for Cinnamon mutations)

Sorry atvchick - got your name completely wrong!!
hehe no worries I'm used to it :) So long as I don't get called a he I'm good to go

and yes for many years I've used this same exact screen name and Got called a HE or HIM instead of a she/her LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

the 1st chick is a Clear flight pied
the second looks like a combo of Clear flight and Dominant pied - but I could be wrong

and the wing markings on your male they're grey- wing markings can't be blue the markings are the lines that go over the head and on the wings
if they look blue it just means the body color is washing over on to them making them appear blue but the actual markings itself is not blue. they can only be 3 colors Black(for normal marked birds) Grey (for Grey wings/dilutes) and Brown(for Cinnamon mutations)

hehe no worries I'm used to it :) So long as I don't get called a he I'm good to go

and yes for many years I've used this same exact screen name and Got called a HE or HIM instead of a she/her LOL
Thank you :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.